Greetings and a to-do list

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

imslp
Site Admin

Greetings and a to-do list

Post by imslp »

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the long hiatus, but I'm back :) I just wanted to start a thread so that people can post what features have been discussed and found wanting. I'll catch up on the discussions on the forums, but might miss some, so I thought I'd start this thread.

The one that has already been planned is:

* FTP server for various purposes

I'll be doing some lesser tasks over the next few days, but will be able to take on larger projects after Thanksgiving, so feel free to post your requests here.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Damn, if you are going to be more active posting I probably won't catch up on post count for a while!
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

I've mentioned this before, but please make the editing boxes bigger in the forms for adding works and files. (Bigger as in having more than one line, and being able to see more of the text at once.)

Thanks!
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

setting Library-Congress-like categories

Post by kcleung »

I have a couple of studies for piano and violins, yet we don't have separate categories for PD studies for different instruments. I strongly believe that a LC-style category system, or at least a category for Studies for each instruments would be useful for many students.
kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

Catalogging OM collection and IMSLP port progress

Post by kcleung »

After setting up FTP servers for "infected" logo PDFs, I strongly believe that we need to catalog the OM collections for the status of:

- works in OM series (include their copyright statuses)
- Volumes uploaded
- Works already processed
- Outstanding works
- claims for in-progress uploading (original volumes) and processing (works) so that contributors do not waste time duplicating other's work.

In addition, we should do the same to the rest of CDSM series, in order to tap their resources already available, thus saving us from scanning scores.

Also we should set up a new forum called "CDROM upload request". It is like the existing "scan request" forum, but for scores known to be in a PD CDROM score series.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Here's my wish-list:

1. A template designed for "non-hosted" composers. Black-edged, with a large hazard symbol to say: DON'T UPLOAD! I would have attempted this myself, except I couldn’t see exactly from where the existing template gets pulled in on the Category pages, and it just doesn’t work on the non-Category pagespace.

2. A new "request additional copyright review flag" that can be raised by general users.

(These were discussed in the moderation forum; I might be able to move those threads to the feature requests forum, if anyone's interested in looking over them.)

3. Enable interwiki links for IMSLP and IMDBP so that pages on each other's sites can be easily referenced, e.g.
[[imslp:User talk:Pml]] or [[imdbp:Otello (Verdi, Giuseppe)]]
without having to specify the full path e.g. http://imdbp.org/wiki/Otello_%28Verdi%2C_Giuseppe%29
3a. You might as well enable interwiki links for Wikipedia and CPDL, also.

4. See below. The NavBox template over at Wikipedia uses a whole suite of multiply-related templates to do its work, so this might be a bit of work.

5. The Percussion wiki/unusual staging requirements info idea proposed elsewhere by David Brooks:
viewtopic.php?t=1450
To be implemented in one of the (as-yet-unused) parts of the IMDBP templates, seeing as only the "basic information" one is being used currently.

6. Clarification on whether non-PD composers/works (no permission granted) can be registered over at IMDBP, i.e. "yes, we know this composer or work exists, but can't be hosted at IMSLP"

I'll be back later when I've got more time to add things in... :)

PML
Last edited by pml on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
--
PML (talk)
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

In general, in the prompts I would suggest using the word "Work" rather than "Piece." For instance, the prompt on a composer page that reads "Add a piece to this composer page" is rather jarring when one wants to add a big work, like a symphony or an opera. Besides, "work" can apply to a small piece as well a big one without being jarring.

On a related matter, with regard to the form for creating a new IMDLP page for a work, the menu-set called "Piece Style" would work better under the heading "Era," because there is generally more than one identifiable stylistic tendency within a given era (not to mention stylistic differences among composers or national/intellectual groups). Here's the section of HTTP code from that page that I mean:
  • <td align='right'>Piece Style</td>
    <td align='left'>
    <select name='awStyle'>
    <option selected='selected'>
    </option>
    <option>Ancient</option>
    <option>Medieval</option>
    <option>Renaissance</option>
    <option>Baroque</option>
    <option>Classical</option>
    <option>Romantic</option>
    <option>Early 20th century</option>
    <option>Modern</option>
    </select>
    </td>
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Lyle Neff
active poster

Handling books and authors

Post by Lyle Neff »

Books on IMSLP need their own kind of form for establishing a work page, and possibly one for uploading files.

Also, a separate "Category"-creation form for authors would be nice, even if a composer/author might have to be entered on a composer form and a book-author form separately.

Given that many pamphlets, feuilletons, and articles are pertinent to music, perhaps the grand designation "Books" as a whole should be broadened to "Writings" or "Music Literature." Cool
active poster

Reminder about adjusting work pages after upload

Post by Lyle Neff »

Sorry for another idea. :cry: ;)

On the "Success" page that appears after an upload is completed, could we add -- in relatively big or otherwise noticeable lettering -- a note placed before the link to the work page and saying something like this:
  • Please check the page for this work to make sure that your newly uploaded files appear in the appropriate portion of the page. Add or adjust subheadings in the outline hierarchy as necessary. Thank you.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

4. {{NavBox}}es!
--
PML (talk)
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I would suggest to remove the "portal" page. I think only 1 link of this page is actively used. I don't think it's a nice welcome for a new visitor, who has no interest in the history of the closure. Probably some new visitors won't even get as far as the IMSLP wiki.

Oh and there's still that little bug with the translations not showing up on the main page left pane.

And a statement about the fate for US-non-PD works, the US-only server, the non-profit incorporation.... would of interest to us all.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

And a statement about the fate for US-non-PD works, the US-only server, the non-profit incorporation.... would of interest to us all.
Seconded!
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

How 'bout details on the Sibley thing?
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

I noticed this in uploading multiple files: On the form, it is not possible to clear a file-name box or edit it with the keyboard (other than choosing another file-name from the window display).

Could this be changed so that the box could at least be cleared? (For instance, in case you input too many file-names.) :D
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Would there be a way of marking the items in the "Recent Additions" list so that the ones that have not yet been copyright-checked are highlighted in some way? For instance, using part of the current listing as a sample, what if it could look something like this?:
  • * Rameau: Nouvelles Suite de Pièces de Clavecin (#25610 -- not yet available)

* Lyapunov: Rhapsody on Ukrainian Themes, Op.28 (#25609 not yet available)

* Solovyov: Cordelia (2 files)

* Borodin: Quintet in C Minor for Piano and Strings (#25606 not yet available)

* Mozart: Piano Concerto No.26, K.537 (3 files)

* Schumann: Spanische Liebeslieder, Op.138 (#25602 not yet available)

* Schmitt: Soirs, Op. 5 (8 files not yet available)
The benefit of this would be that (most?) anxious users might not waste time viewing the work page for the new files.