Orchestral Parts Project

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

Re: OP -DON'T purchase vol 8-9, Monash (melbourne) has it

Post by kcleung »

I found out that the Monash University library (Melbourne, Australia) has Vol 8 and Vol 9

Volume 8:

http://library.monash.edu.au/vwebv/hold ... Id=2367947
call number: P780 UM ORCL.8

Volume 9:
http://library.monash.edu.au/vwebv/hold ... Id=2380458
call number: P780 UM ORCL.9

and from the wordings of the webpages above, I think they are allowed to be taken out (not sure) If this is the case, DON'T buy vol 8 or 9.

You are encouraged to help out if you

- have access to the Monash library by any means, and
- have a computer running on Ubuntu Linux 8.10 onwards,

because I have modified Horndude77' logo-removal script, and compiled the libleptonica library. The modified version is tested in my system and allows automatic batch processing (by whole volume), thus requiring little user input. In this way, you can strip the logos yourself *locally* and directly submit the files for copyright-review.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Orchestral Parts Project

Post by Yagan Kiely »

PML, would you have access to any of these two?

Or Aldona for that matter?
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by pml »

I can head out to Monash and copy it onto a hard drive, I know a number of Monash student/staff who in theory ought to be able to access the CD-ROM, if not actually take it away on loan. It won't be for a week or two or three - I'm moving house from Carlton to Williamstown, the day after tomorrow*!

Regards, PML

* I was forced to move two years ago by the previous landlord selling the place, when the market was at a "high", and rents were expensive. Two years later, and the situation is completely different, and I would be a fool to stay in the current digs at the highest possible rents...
--
PML (talk)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

It would be great if you could, would save Carolus from buy them.

I don't mind waiting. :P
varnis
forum adept

Post by varnis »

Ive been somewhat remiss, what with taking advantage of others work and not offering to help out. Being an orchestral clarinet/oboeist i have a somewhat vested interest in getting those parts sorted out.

I have a ubuntu box running that i could do logo removal on, if a list of candidate files exists i can get started from next monday, work permitting
Yours,
Varnis
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Yagan Kiely wrote:PML, would you have access to any of these two?

Or Aldona for that matter?
I have a Monash "alumni" borrower card - which I acquired about a year ago mainly for the purpose of borrowing IMSLP-worthy material to scan - only to find that I actually have very little time to actually go down there to browse and borrow.

Before Christmas I borrowed the Beethoven-Schubert volume of flute parts - printed out a few that I liked for my own personal use, but ran out of time to save/upload and had to return it after a week - only to lose the #@&% thing somewhere between home and the Monash library and now I'm waiting for another chance to go down there and pay to replace it.

Too many things to do...when I try running in all directions at once my net vector/ distance achieved is zero, so I'll limit myself to harvesting Sibley/ Danish Royal Library when I can, and will wait until I get another couple of weeks vacation (probably not for some months).

I'll leave it for those who have more time and less distance to cover.

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
kendrickkoo

Post by kendrickkoo »

was wondering, what exactly is there left to do? i can't access the list of tasks.
kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

Post by kcleung »

Basically for the OP project, we need to:

1. rip volume 1-10
2. strip logo of all files from all volumes
3. assign copyright status for each work and eventually upload to the IMSLP server (by the central admin)

I have already modified Horndude77's script for automated processing of full volumes. Therefore it would be the best for the same person who rip the volume to process the files himself (using the updated script I am about to upload onto the OP FTP server)

For this part, Yagan has already done volumes 1, 2 and 6.

However Yagan does not have access to Volume 8-10

and I know Monash has volume 8-9 (also 1-7). So if you have access to the Monash library (and preferably Linux (such as Ubuntu) system), then you can help out by ripping and processing (stripping logo) the volume 8-9.

After you rip the CDs, remembeer to back up all project files onto a DVD before you start stripping the logos!
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

the UCLA library also has access to Vol 8 through 10. if anybody has access to the UCLA library he/she could upload them to the FTP server. I asked a friend of mine to borrow it there, but havent got an answer yet.

greetings
tilman
kendrickkoo

Post by kendrickkoo »

I could potentially do no.3 (the copyright thing) although i am sporadically busy with work. I do have all the horn parts for volume 1 on my disk if you don't already have it but haven't been able to work out how to unlock it.
kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

Post by kcleung »

tilmaen wrote:the UCLA library also has access to Vol 8 through 10. if anybody has access to the UCLA library he/she could upload them to the FTP server. I asked a friend of mine to borrow it there, but havent got an answer yet.

greetings
tilman
Hi Tilman,

If you friend can do the ripping, please tell him to do volume 10 first (each volume contains approximate 13 CDs with total size of around 2.5GB) as Monash (where PML, a copyright reviewer lives) also has volume 8-9. Also Volume 10 is Baroque, thus requiring little copyright review effort.
Then you can download the batch processing script on

ftp://imslp.org/OP Project/batch_script/

There are instructions in the folder (README) for setting up and using the batch script to automate stripping of the logos.

For all CD rippers:
- please strip the logo (from the files) yourself off-site if possible, as the ftp download/upload stage would be the bottleneck. The logo-stripping batch script only takes 1.5 hours to process the entire volume on a Intel C2Q system.
- It would be nice if CD rippers can notify others the volume they are working on at the moment, so others can look for a *different* volume
- If possible, please rip a complete volume (with all instruments) before moving onto the next one

By the way, volumes 1, 2 and 6 are already ripped, so don't waste time on them.
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

Could we have an update?

Also, I noticed OMCDL has added a "Full Scores" CD for Volume I Does anyone have access to that?
kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

Post by kcleung »

ras1 wrote:Could we have an update?

Also, I noticed OMCDL has added a "Full Scores" CD for Volume I Does anyone have access to that?
I haven't come across with a library stocking this CD yet. The quality of the full score CD would certainly be much better than our miniature score scans currently at IMSLP (with correct sectional marking and score size etc). This will certainly make conductor's life much easier!!!!!

Now, should members in this list that has some influence in music departments try to persuade their department to purchase these full score CDs for their uni library as they come out? The Vol 1 full score CD will cost the department USD 40

Yagan, what do you think?
kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

Who has access to OM full score for vol 1 and 2?

Post by kcleung »

OM has already released full score CD for vol 2. Do you know anyone who has access to full scores for vol 1 and 2? If so, we should get them and include these full scores in our project. Quality of these scores are much better than the miniature scans that we have on IMSLP.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I've heard elsewhere that the full scores are on DVD. At any rate, no word yet on the resolution, etc. Should be interesting.