Copyright Reviewer
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Funper »

yeah it freaks me out :S
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Am I mistaken or is it about time to start thinking about a donation system?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

It may be because of the file template changes; they usually take a few hours to recover. This is because IMSLP is heavily cached, and so modifying the file template means deleting more than 10000 cache files (since almost all pages use that template, and there are multiple file caches for one page because of different languages), which takes a while. And of course, after the cache files are deleted, they need to be regenerated, which is why IMSLP will respond slower in the few hours after the template change. Of course, this is only for the high-volume templates (File and Work page templates).

Don't worry too much about it... :) just that it may be a good idea to use the test file template more before making a change to the actual file template :)

It is true, however, that even without this IMSLP is quickly outgrowing the dedicated server (and this is in less than 3 months after I switched!). I'm going to set up a donation system in about a month and a half, as well as a huge upgrade to the IMSLP system (which includes the use of faster server software). Though, if the donation system works well I can switch to a more powerful server which would just simply not have these issues :)
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

oh my god.... and I kept changing the template all day long :oops: sorry!
but I didn't know I was the cause.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Peter wrote:oh my god.... and I kept changing the template all day long :oops: sorry!
but I didn't know I was the cause.
Hahaha... no worries :) Nobody except me knew about this before I posted on the forums anyway :)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

And btw, there is a reason I didn't say this earlier: I don't want to discourage people from changing the file template, because otherwise there is absolutely no reason why there should be a template for the file entry if I didn't want people to change it; it'd be much easier (and faster) to write a parser extension to do the same thing. It is precisely because I'm welcoming improvements on the template that I still use the template and not a parser hook :)

So feel free to edit the templates as long as you've tested it in the test templates first :)