Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

allegroamabile
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

IMSLP and Music Libraries

Post by allegroamabile »

My school's library (which has the biggest ensemble collection in the U.S.) and most university libraries have most of the public domain works in a public domain edition. I would like to know from people who have been asking music libraries to upload scores onto IMSLP what they pretty much had to do and what their experience was like. Any other words, how do you do it?

Also we should upload more scores from everynote.com (since all of them are PD) to IMSLP.

Regards
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: IMSLP and Music Libraries

Post by Carolus »

Please don't upload scores from EveryNote here unless you've completely removed all of the logos, trademarks, etc. beforehand. While the music and scans themselves may be public domain, the EveryNote logo is not public domain and quite illegal to reproduce without permission. Besides, from what I've seen of EveryNote's scans, I'm not very impressed. They are often scanned at a poor resolution (200 dpi), and no effort is made to clean up or otherwise improve the image. Most of the time, there are much better scans available elsewhere.

School libraries are quite welcome to scan and upload their holdings here as long as they meet our public domain requirements. You'll note that we already have an official semi-mirror of the wonderful scans which have been produced by Sibley Library at the Eastman School of Music. There are a few items in Sibley which are not free in Canada and therefore not possible to mirror here.