Post by supertchan »

19,998 works now.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: 20,000 works coming!

Post by Carolus »

Outstanding milestone to pass. We just went past 45,000 files also. Congratulations everyone!
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Uh, I just now had this thought:

Wouldn't it be more prudent to announce round numbers of works or of files which are completely unencumbered with regard to downloading (i.e., without or [TB] restrictions)? Otherwise, it seems a premature claim.

Just an idea.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
supertchan
regular poster

Post by supertchan »

Lyle Neff wrote:Uh, I just now had this thought:

Wouldn't it be more prudent to announce round numbers of works or of files which are completely unencumbered with regard to downloading (i.e., without or [TB] restrictions)? Otherwise, it seems a premature claim.

Just an idea.

I think we can create a page to explain the numbers.
The number of "works" is the number of the work pages. There can be some work pages that contain multiple works (serieses of works or suites) and ones that contain no file (24 hour rule), or no file to download (checking its copyright status, wating to become public domain in "your" country).
The number of "scores" is the number of the pdf files. There can be some files that you can't download yet (checking its copyright status, wating to become public domain in "your" country). And some files are books, not scores.
The number of "composers" is the number of composer pages, some of them can be under 24 hour role.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I think what Lyle means is that if 1,000 works have a [TB] block on them, with no real solution in the immediate future, then we don't have 20,000 downloadable works, we only have 19,000.

The blocks mostly get taken care of very quickly, so I don't think those are of any real concern.

Explaining the numbers will be useful to have anyway, but it doesn't address the question of whether we should claim works if people can't download them.

Other opinions, anyone?

By the way, how many [TB] blocks are there?
bsteltz
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Actually, either of you probably haven't tried clicking on a B or TB file. There is a page there (IMSLP: File Blocked) which does all of that and more! :)
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

perlnerd666 wrote:Actually, either of you probably haven't tried clicking on a B or TB file. There is a page there (IMSLP: File Blocked) which does all of that and more!
I don't understand this post (maybe I'm being thick), but I have clicked on lots of [TB] files. The page always exists (I'm not questioning that), but the scores can't be downloaded, so the question is, isn't it misleading to include them in the score count if no one can have access to them, now or in the near future?

And just to double check, I went into one of the Roussel files (Duo for bsn and double bass). I don't see a count of [TB] files there, so I don't understand "does all of that and more".

Can you please explain? Thanks
bsteltz
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

If you click on a or [TB] file, such as this one, it says something like this at the end:
Of files blocked as "", there are currently 13 files awaiting review, and 156 files will fall into public domain next year. 1,863 files are blocked as "[TB]".
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

supertchan wrote:
Lyle Neff wrote:Uh, I just now had this thought:

Just an idea.

I think we can create a page to explain the numbers.
The number of "works" is the number of the work pages. There can be some work pages that contain multiple works (serieses of works or suites) and ones that contain no file (24 hour rule), or no file to download (checking its copyright status, wating to become public domain in "your" country).
The number of "scores" is the number of the pdf files. There can be some files that you can't download yet (checking its copyright status, wating to become public domain in "your" country). And some files are books, not scores.
The number of "composers" is the number of composer pages, some of them can be under 24 hour role.

That's the post to which I was replying. I forgot to quote, sorry!
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

To KGill: thanks for the explanation -- when I saw a [TB] block on the work page I didn't click on the actual file, since I wouldn't be able to download anyway.

But just to get back to the original question, if there are currently 1,853 [TB] blocks and 156 blocks (although with the New Year in about 3 weeks these will be removed), then we only have a bit more than 18,000 downloadable files, so is it better to quote that number rather?
bsteltz
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

1853+156=2009
Total FILES (Scores):45748
Downloadable files = 45748-2009=43039
Many of those files are on the same Work.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Sorry, I got my wording wrong, Getting back to the original question posed by Lyle, the blocked files affect the 45,000 number, and probably to a much lesser extent, the 20,000 number.

Is there a way to tell how the blocked files affect the number of works?
bsteltz
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

I'm wondering about that. I think the short answer is no. :lol: But wait for Feldmahler and Leonard. I think we can easily weed out the files, but TB....the autotagger would have to do that, and it hasn't marked all of those pages, not to mention transcriptions...
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

There is, practically, absolutely no way of knowing how [TB] affects the number of works. Theoretically it can be done, but that would be a incredibly huge project that I do not think to be in any way worth the benefit. The structure of IMSLP is such that this is just not feasible, because the files are fundamentally detached from the pages they sit in.

Of course, it is possible to fix the number of files available (the current number minus and [TB]). However, it does require a little bit of tweaking, so it may have to wait (unfortunately it cannot be done through the wiki, though it almost can if not for the comma). Generally speaking, I understand how it would be more accurate, but the number count was always rather a ballpark number instead of a precise number. Nevertheless, perhaps it may be fun to watch the 50,000 mark go by twice :)
supertchan
regular poster

2800 composers now!

Post by supertchan »

2800 composers now!