Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Proposal for new project: Completion of Sibelius works list

Post by daphnis »

I'd like to propose a new project for the contributors of IMSLP: the completion of the Sibelius works list to go live on the site when January 1st of next year rolls around. I was thinking something along the lines of each person who wishes to volunteer and has access to a library or other medium of checking out scores could take one genre, songs for example, and try and scan those we currently lack. A symphony per person, piano works, or something likewise so that when the first of the year rolls around we can submit them and hopefully amass his oeuvre that is in the public domain (in Canada, minus any scores published less than 50 years ago). I myself have already begun work on this and will continue to scan and archive as many works as I can until the first, but several of the larger orchestral works would be projects themselves.

Does this sound appealing to anyone?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

It sounds very appealing to me :)

Unfortunately I cannot participate at this time: I don't have access to a scanner, and am rather busy enough at the moment with other IMSLP matters. However, I would be very much interested to see such a project take off. This is especially considering that Sibelius is one of the first major composers to enter public domain since the birth of IMSLP. I hope that IMSLP may continue to map out the public domain like this :)

I'd be willing to help in any other way if necessary (either code-wise or else).