Announcement of new IMSLP collaborations and RFC

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

imslp
Site Admin

Re: Announcement of new IMSLP collaborations and RFC

Post by imslp »

Thanks! Nitpicking aside things do seem to work very well :-)
chimark
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by chimark »

imslp wrote:Also, Mark, would you mind providing a short informal list of ordered stuff after a week or so? I'm just curious as to how the system is used, and to make any adjustments as necessary.
As promised, here is a list of the documents ordered to date:
Monteverdi - L'Incoronazione di Poppea Complete ...
Delibes - Coppélia Piano Score
Handel - Amadigi di Gaula Score
Hoffmeister - Quartetto a Contrabbasso Obbligato ...
Leoncavallo - I Medici
Kuhlau - Adagio and Rondo for Piano 4-Hands, Op ...
Debussy - Marche écossaise sur un thème populaire
Playford - An introduction to the skill of musick
Joplin - Bethena
Haydn - Symphony in D Major Hob I:86 Manuscript
Haydn - Symphony in G minor Hob I:83 Manuscript

We're seeing about 500 people per day on average coming over to the site, so the conversion rate to a purchase is relatively small, but hopefully as we begin marketing this more, that will go up.

I've made some tweaks to the item page that appears that hopefully address some of the concerns expressed here - if you have any other feedback, it is welcome as well.

Mark
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

BTW, I ordered the two last items on Mark's list above (Haydn symphonies). I received very nicely done color prints of the two files in about a week's time. They are quite readable, and an excellent value. The total came to about 11 USD, the service was fast and the quality first-rate. If you want a printed copy and don't wish to deal with it yourself, I highly recommend PE.
SteveBNA

Post by SteveBNA »

First, I want to say thank you to those people involved in making this service possible. I myself have just placed an order for a few prints (various Rheinberger organ sonatas), and to say that the prices are very reasonable would be a huge understatement.

On a side note, I was wondering if it might be possible to make my harpsichord editions (under the Due West Editions label) eligible for this reprint service?

-Steve Wiberg
chimark
regular poster

Post by chimark »

SteveBNA wrote:On a side note, I was wondering if it might be possible to make my harpsichord editions (under the Due West Editions label) eligible for this reprint service?
Steve -

Thanks for your order!

I'm happy to discuss with you setting up your files for printing. Since they would still be under copyright, we would just need to have an agreement in place between us to address rights for printing and selling the content. Feel free to e-mail me at mark@performersedition.com and we can discuss further.

Mark
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Mark,

I received your e-mail as well. I just wanted to note that the files falling under this service are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution or Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike, and therefore theoretically there is no permission requirement for reprinting. However, as a courtesy the service will be limited to submitters who manually enable this option through edits to the IMSLP wiki. This feature will essentially be controlled via the wiki.

I think for simplicity sake this should be a simple extension of scope in the IMSLP-PE agreement, with no need for a written agreement between the submitter and PE. Anything more seems to me to likely be too complicated and troublesome for most submitters to bother with. If any submitters have specific issues, we can address them on a case by case basis.

Edward
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

How does one go about adding a Performer's Edition link to a score?
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

It happens automatically.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

I have been uploading a number of Hahn songs, and they do not have a link to buy a printed copy. For example...

http://imslp.org/wiki/Paysage_(Hahn,_Reynaldo)

The score is in the public domain for the US. Any clue why there isn't a link?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Not PD in the EU. If you're in the USA, you can e-mail PE and he'll probably print a copy for you.
chimark
regular poster

Post by chimark »

Carolus wrote:Not PD in the EU. If you're in the USA, you can e-mail PE and he'll probably print a copy for you.
As long as the work is in PD in the US and you are in the US, I don't see any problems doing this - you can e-mail us at contact@performersedition with either the IMSLP file number or a link to the file you would like printed and we'll get it set up for you.

Mark
SteveBNA

Post by SteveBNA »

chimark wrote: Steve -

Thanks for your order!

Mark
My pleasure. My order arrived today, and I must say, I am very impressed with the results. Definitely exceeded my expectations. I very much like the design of the covers you use, too. Thanks again, you'll be receiving another order from me in the very near future.

-Steve
chimark
regular poster

Post by chimark »

odry147 wrote:What ranges of pages could you print (i.e. maximum and minimum numbers per vol.)?
For flat bound documents (stapled on the spine like most of the parts you're used to playing from), we can accommodate up to 80 pages.
For spiral bound or tape bound documents, we can accommodate up to 800 pages
For hard cover books, we can accommodate up to 400 pages

Mark Schuster
chimark
regular poster

Post by chimark »

tyra99 wrote:I'm curious as to the capacity of a single print—the more the better, but a really good binding is most important to me. Lay-flat bindings that don't deteriorate or lose pages are thin on the ground...
Flat-bound is really your best option for this as it (obviously) lays flat, but also is rather durable. We use a 28 lb paper, so the pages stay attached together very well. Spiral is the other lay flat option, again with 28 lb paper so there are fewer tears resulting from "overeager" page turns and the like, however that is still a distinct possibility.

Tape bound is sturdier, however it is not a lay-flat book. We recommend that this be used for study scores rather than performance copies.
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

Can you post images of examples of each of these? I think I understand what the different bindings are, but I'd like to be sure.