Large Score Donation

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

imslp
Site Admin

Large Score Donation

Post by imslp »

IMSLP recently received a donation consisting of a huge amount of music scores! The problem is that they are in paper, and not scanned, and so I would like to ask about how this can be done, specifically whether anyone is willing to scan them. The donor has agreed to pay the shipping, though some details have to be worked out. But of course the primary issue is whether anyone is wiling to scan them :)

Quoting from the donor's e-mail, his collection consists of the following:
Carlo Albinessi, Arensky, Sterndale Bennett, Blumenfeld (I have his complete piano works) Busoni, Chaminade (I have her complete piano works) Czerny, Robert Goldbeck, Stefano Golinelli, Gottschalk, Granados,Grunfeld, Heller (I have quite a lot that is not on the site), Henri Herz, Richard Hoffman, Hans Huber, Alfred Jaell, Halfdan Kjerulf, Kopylov, Korestchenko, Liapunov, Martucci, Poldini, Raff, Reger,
Henri Rosellen, Anton Rubinstein, Saint-Saens, Julius Schulhoff, Ludwig Schytte, de Severac, Smetana, Nicholas Stcherbatcheff, I have Turina's complete piano works, but that one needs to be watched. Rudolf Viole's Eleven Piano Sonatas, Wihtol, August Winding.
Also, he mentioned these because he knows the birth and death dates of them (and hence the listed are in the public domain), meaning that there could be more...
mcroskell
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by mcroskell »

Wow, so many of my favorite obscure Romantic composers. I think I've died and gone to heaven!
Seriously though, I would definitely be willing to help out with this project so let me know.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Name a composer you would be willing to start with :)
mcroskell
regular poster

Post by mcroskell »

Well,the ones I would have the most personal interest in are: Arensky, Chaminade, Rubinstein, & Wihtol for starters
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Grade the four you want to do first from 1 (most wanted) to 4 (least wanted). :) I'm still not sure about the shipping situation, so this is just in the event that he has a large number of scores for each of the four composers, and shipping them at once would be too heavy.

If this goes through I'll probably e-mail you his e-mail address, and you two can talk things out (address, etc.) :)
mcroskell
regular poster

Post by mcroskell »

OK, lets say:
1.Rubinstein
2.Chaminade
3.Wihtol
4.Arensky
Thanks.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I just received an e-mail from the donor :) He has the scores, but they are photocopies from his friend's collection, and wanted to ask if you are fine with that?
mcroskell
regular poster

Post by mcroskell »

Sure
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Great! Even though photocopies don't look as pretty as the originals they are *much* easier to scan from, so its certainly not entirely a bad thing :) I'll e-mail him right away.
mcroskell
regular poster

Post by mcroskell »

My thinking exactly, and hey, with rare scores such as these I'm willing to take about anything!
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

indeed. photocopies can be inserted into a feeder. this means, you scan all pages with one mouseclick...
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I just went around a few local computer stores, and manage to find a nice all-in-one print/scan/copy/fax machine with a document autofeeder at Best Buy for $80 Canadian... talk about cheap ;) Autofeeders used to be so expensive...
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

whew. which model is it? I might be interested too if the prices are lowering in Belgium too (which I doubt :? )
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Well, there were two. The (imo better) HP one ($89.99) has a 25-page document autofeeder and can be found here:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... FS10066850

The slightly cheaper one ($79.99) is a Brother machine with a 10-page autofeeder, and can be found here:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... FS10078150

They *might* ship to Belgium, but the costs are... probably unspeakable :/

On the other hand, those machines being that cheap means that you probably can find a similar deal on eBay that actually ships to Belgium for a sane fee. :)

P.S. Remember that those are in Canadian dollars ;)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Wouldn't it be a good idea for the donor/someone taking on the desired composer to check if the piece is already uploaded? This would certainly cut down on his shipping costs and scan time.