Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

NLewis
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

IRC Channel

Post by NLewis »

Hi everyone. I just want to announce that IMSLP now has a registered channel (#imslpchat). I think it would be a good idea to actually implement it onto the wiki, but (obviously) I can't do that since the page it locked. I'm wondering if anyone else with sysop rights could do it. Here are the steps:

1). function onloadhookcustom() {
var replace = document.getElementById("JRChatReplace");
if (null != replace) {
replace.innerHTML='<iframe src="http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=imslpchat" width="600" height="450"></iframe>';
if (window.attachEvent) window.attachEvent("onbeforeunload",confirmexitjrchat);
else window.onbeforeunload = confirmexitjrchat;

}
//alert(document.getElementById("JRChatReplace").innerHTML);

}

if (window.addEventListener) window.addEventListener("load",onloadhookcustom,false);
else if (window.attachEvent) window.attachEvent("onload",onloadhookcustom);

That is the java code. It needs to be posted at the bottom of MediaWiki:Common.js.

2). I've already set up the project page that this can appear on (unless there are objections). It can be found here:

http://imslp.org/wiki/IRC_Access

The logical next step is to link it to the mediawiki sidebar (which I'll need some help with):

http://imslp.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Sidebar

And of course, I think it should be under "participate".

Mind you that this is not commonly done. Very few wikis actually have the IRC integrated into the wiki. Hopefully this will promote users to talk about classical music. Another reason I think this will be helpful is because it might "break the ice" a little for the moderation team. My thought is that it might allow conversation about IMSLP in a setting that isn't so formal, which will hopefully promote ideas more fluidly.

What do you guys think?
imslp
Site Admin

Re: IRC Channel

Post by imslp »

This actually looks pretty good. But just curious: what is the code used for besides the iframe thing? It seems to me that the iframe should be enough itself?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

In any case, I put the code in and sidebarred it.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Never mind my previous post. I realized that the code was for putting in Commons.js without needing a custom code hook.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

@NLewis: Sorry for not responding to your IRC messages. I was doing other things so did not check the IRC channel. I actually was quite impressed by you finding this Javascript IRC client. Back in the days when I used to be on IRC all the time there were only normal IRC clients and Java (not JS) IRC clients, both of which can sometimes be a pain. (Though I will switch to a normal IRC client soon just since they are easier in the long run.)

So thank you for setting this up! I had always wanted to set up an easy chat system on IMSLP, but did not realize that now IRC servers are willing to host Javascript clients.