Moderator: kcleung

pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: IMSLP to merge with WIMA

Post by pml »

Hi Jeff,

that might have been KGill getting a bit twitchy a few days ago.

Which ones weren’t WIMA files, or is that an ambiguous question with an answer that would take up several pages?

Cheers, Philip

(BTW, I love the title of your “Tantrum for Toy Piano”.)
--
PML (talk)
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Yesterday I started transferring my WIMA contributions to IMSLP, and after a little tinkering around (and with a little administrative help) it seems to have worked well :-).
But I have some questions:
How do I "link" a composition to multiple entries? E.g. the composer Melchior Borchgrevinck (http://icking-music-archive.org/ByCompo ... evinck.php) - his works that are published within the Füllsack-Hildebrandt compilation (http://icking-music-archive.org/ByComposer/Fullsack.php) should obviously appear under his own entry as well as under the Füllsack-Hildebrandt entry.
Speaking of the Füllsack-Hildebrandt compilation: How can I enter a work (this compilation) with two editors?

What is about the upload of MIDI and source files? When can a solution be expected?

[edit] Oh and one more question: Is it possible to place an external hyperlink on a work page, e.g. a link to a website where scans of the source are available?

Greetings -
Ulrich
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

I’m not quite sure I understand the issue; but if it’s a set of pieces that can’t be separated, which would go under the category for Fullsack, then to indicate there’s a composition by Borchgrevinck also within the set you add the category by manually editing the page and inserting [[Category:Borchgrevinck, Melchior]] at the end of the page. Many pages with a miscellany of composers’ works use this method so that the works are accessible from the pages of the relevant composers.

The format for Editors looks like (Wiki formatting):
|Editor={{LinkEd|First Name(s)|Surname(s)}} (dates optional, but preferred)
e.g. |Editor={{LinkEd|Philip|Legge}} (1972*)
For two editors, use a line break <br> in html: {{LinkEd|First Name(s)|Surname(s)}}<br>{{LinkEd|First Name(s)|Surname(s)}}

For adding hyperlinks, in the general info part of the page, again manually edit and add a line
|External Links=[http://... Description of website]

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
jeff_harrington
regular poster

Post by jeff_harrington »

Heh, that would be a long list... no big deal! I was not updating my WIMA files as often as I should have, so pretty much everything after 2000 is not WIMA.

Re: Tantrum - Thanks! It's a very angry piece for a toy piano! ;)

Jeff

pml wrote:Hi Jeff,

that might have been KGill getting a bit twitchy a few days ago.

Which ones weren’t WIMA files, or is that an ambiguous question with an answer that would take up several pages?

Cheers, Philip

(BTW, I love the title of your “Tantrum for Toy Piano”.)
rdtennent
forum adept

Re:corrected scores

Post by rdtennent »

I've found a few timing errors in one of the scores I contributed to WIMA (and have transferred to IMSLP). How do I submit a corrected score to replace the faulty one?

Bob T.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Click on the IMSLP index # below the download arrow for your score; all these recent uploads from WIMA have an IMSLP # in the mid-110,000s.

That should take you to a page with a URL that looks something like:

http://imslp.org/wiki/File:WIMA.####-{filename}.pdf

Underneath “File History” on that page, there should be a link to upload a new version of your file. From that point onward, I think matters should be straight-forward!

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

jeff_harrington wrote:
pml wrote:(BTW, I love the title of your “Tantrum for Toy Piano”.)

Jeff
Over at tvtropes.org, they’d describe this as Exactly What It Says On The Tin. (Warning: visiting tvtropes.org on a Friday afternoon may result in a severe productivity decline.)

P. ;-)
--
PML (talk)
jeff_harrington
regular poster

Post by jeff_harrington »

pml wrote:
jeff_harrington wrote:
pml wrote:(BTW, I love the title of your “Tantrum for Toy Piano”.)

Jeff
Over at tvtropes.org, they’d describe this as Exactly What It Says On The Tin. (Warning: visiting tvtropes.org on a Friday afternoon may result in a severe productivity decline.)

P. ;-)
Normally I would thank somebody for introducing me to a site, but in this case I feel I'm beginning to suffer from an infection! Thanks, nonetheless!

Jeff
dsimons
regular poster

Post by dsimons »

On the page

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Simons,_Don

the following statement has appeared (with no particular action on my part beyond my uploading of the files mentioned):

"All works by this person are still under copyright in Canada, the EU, Japan, and elsewhere and are thus subject to deletion. The works are also probably copyrighted in the U.S. if first published after 1923. (See public domain.) An exception is if the person or copyright holder allows IMSLP to use the works in a manner similar to a work in the public domain. If this is the case, please choose the "Creative Commons" or "Performance Restricted" license instead of "Public Domain" when submitting the file (or edit it to such, if already submitted). In such cases, it is necessary to put a copyright notice with the copyright type somewhere in the file, to prevent confusion.

This message will be removed when the works enter the public domain naturally."

I have no idea what ANY of this means, whether I've been singled out or maybe similar statements appear for others, and I don't know whether I can or should do anything about it. Following Christian's suggestion, I assigned the "CC BY-NC-SA" copyright to all of these works. So they all already have one of the "Creative Commons" designations, contrary to the implication of the quoted statement.

What's going on here????

--Don Simons
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Don,

have a look at the pages of other non-dead composers. Exemplum gratia. This is a normal copyright notice to indicate:

* the composer has rights, both legal and moral;
* the downloader should pay attention to the copyright licencing of the composer’s works which are offered on the website.

You might be surprised to learn that we often have some submitters who do not have the permission of the copyright holders to upload copyrighted scores to the website. Likewise, we occasionally have visitations from publishers who are discommoded to learn that some works are in the public domain in Canada and the United States, when the same works are still protected by copyright in the European Union: they see a different copyright notice, which is based on the composer’s death date being between 50 and 70 years in the past. (It’s in fact a completely automated notice.)

So please ignore the copyright warning on your page — it’s just one of the website’s bells and whistles. The actual human beings in charge of the site are working under the assumption that the person with username “dsimons” is actually legally and morally entitled to act on behalf of “Don Simons” : I’m sure you’ll disabuse us of this notion if that isn’t the case. ;-)

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
dsimons
regular poster

Post by dsimons »

Thanks for clarifying, Philip. Might the message be made a little clearer by saying that the score are subject to deletion "if the copyright holder so desires," or something related to that?

--Don Simons
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Perhaps, but the copyright infringers are almost totally immune to subtlety, unfortunately. It’s best not to give them the slightest encouragement.

Click here for an unsubtle message: GRRRRRAAAHHH!!!

(You’ll notice someone had the temerity to water down the warning by including “however you are still welcome to add any information”, blah blah blah. Weaselly language should be exterminated by fire! ;-)

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
kvanbruwaene

Post by kvanbruwaene »

Glad to help.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

I am just entering a 1607 compilation (Füllsack-Hildebrand: Erster Theil außerlesener Paduanen und Galliarden). On top of the work page we read: "This work is most likely NOT public domain in either Canada and other countries where the term is life+50 years (like China, Japan, Korea and many others worldwide), or the EU and in countries where the copyright term is life+70 years. However, as this work was first published before 1923 or failed to meet notice or renewal requirements, it is almost certainly public domain in the USA and is therefore hosted on an American server for US residents only." What did trigger this message and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks in advance -
Ulrich
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

lurchi wrote: What did trigger this message and how do I get rid of it?
It's the absence of a date of death for the composer that's causing the message. According to the Library of Congress he died in 1649, so if you edit the composer category page and fill in the four digits after "|Death Year=", the message should disappear.

I notice on this page you have a group of files for the whole collection, but are also starting to put single files on as well. Are these duplicates?