Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: IMSLP to merge with WIMA

Post by KGill »

Peter M. Armstrong wrote:Does this mean that the way now to make new contributions is, not to WIMA itself, but to ISMLP [sic] directly instead?
Yes, if you've never registered with WIMA then there is no reason to pay attention to any of the WIMA instructions. The normal file submission process can be found at http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Quick_Guide ... Submission
luigi

Post by luigi »

I am ready to do all I can to transfer my scores from Wima to IMSLP.
bmedicky

Post by bmedicky »

I am going to transfer my scores from WIMA to IMSLP.
kompy

Post by kompy »

I am ready to do what I can to transfer my scores from WIMA to IMSLP.
pjones235
active poster

Post by pjones235 »

While transferring files, I've been coming across many that have already been transferred, but haven't been updated in the WIMA transfer queue. We don't need duplicates. We need better advertisement for the queue page, which isn't really seeming to be all that beneficial... Am I the only person to have noted this? I hope not. It's kind of annoying to have to check all of the links. Sorry for my little rant.
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

kompy wrote:I am ready to do what I can to transfer my scores from WIMA to IMSLP.
Kompy and other volunteers, sorry for answering that late. You may want to have a look at the instruction page on the WIMA server How to upload WIMA scores to IMSLP.
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

pjones235 wrote:While transferring files, I've been coming across many that have already been transferred, but haven't been updated in the WIMA transfer queue. We don't need duplicates. We need better advertisement for the queue page, which isn't really seeming to be all that beneficial... Am I the only person to have noted this? I hope not. It's kind of annoying to have to check all of the links. Sorry for my little rant.
I keep track on completed transfers in the WIMA page WIMA/IMSLP Contributors & Contemporary Composers. This page is database driven: when I've verified that all the score files (pdf scores, sound files, engraving files) associated with a WIMA contributor and/or a composer have been transferred to IMSLP they're flagged in WIMA's Person table. In the survey page 'completed persons' are marked with a stroke through their surname.

In WIMA's list of Composers, Publishers and Editors (driven by the same table) names of completed composers are marked with IMSLP after their dates. When you click on these names you're taken immediately to their IMSLP composer pages.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

reccmo wrote:I keep track on completed transfers in the WIMA page WIMA/IMSLP Contributors & Contemporary Composers. This page is database driven: when I've verified that all the score files (pdf scores, sound files, engraving files) associated with a WIMA contributor and/or a composer have been transferred to IMSLP they're flagged in WIMA's Person table.
I've completed Icking's and Taupin's contributions except their few copyrighted scores. This prevents their name to appear with a stroke in the survey page. What can we do? Is your "verifying" automatic?
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

coulonnus wrote:
reccmo wrote:I keep track on completed transfers in the WIMA page WIMA/IMSLP Contributors & Contemporary Composers. This page is database driven: when I've verified that all the score files (pdf scores, sound files, engraving files) associated with a WIMA contributor and/or a composer have been transferred to IMSLP they're flagged in WIMA's Person table.
I've completed Icking's and Taupin's contributions except their few copyrighted scores. This prevents their name to appear with a stroke in the survey page. What can we do? Is your "verifying" automatic?
No, there's (unfortunately) no automatism. I've checked the editions by the late Werner Icking. His editions of compositions by Heinz Irsen have not been transferred. Werner received an explicit permission from Heinz Irsen's son to prepare and publish editions of his father's music in WIMA. So please transfer the Irsen scores to IMSLP. When that has been done I'll mark the transfer of Werner Icking's contributions as completed.

Concerning the contributions by Daniel Taupin: I wonder about the music by
  • G. Boussion
  • P. Darmon
  • Fernand Capitani
Did you check their life dates?
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

bmedicky wrote:I am going to transfer my scores from WIMA to IMSLP.
To Bmedicky and other volunteers: please be sure to record your transfer plan in IMSLP's WIMA queue
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

reccmo wrote:His editions of compositions by Heinz Irsen have not been transferred. Werner received an explicit permission from Heinz Irsen's son to prepare and publish editions of his father's music in WIMA. So please transfer the Irsen scores to IMSLP.
I will.
reccmo wrote:G. Boussion, P. Darmon, Fernand Capitani: Did you check their life dates?
I made the best efforts to find them. By default imslp is forced to assume they are under copyright :(
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

reccmo wrote:[...Heinz Irsen...] So please transfer the Irsen scores to IMSLP.
Done.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

I am pleased to announce that as of today, the transferral of WIMA files to IMSLP is complete.

Out of 66060 scores to be transferred and automatically linked, 57709 (87%) have been. Because every single contributor and composer represented on WIMA has now had all files moved here in some form, we can safely assume that the discrepancy is artificial. As Christian Mondrup has said elsewhere:
reccmo wrote:The remaining part of the 13% 'not transferred' WIMA scores are most likely scores which were copied to IMSLP before the merge was initiated, scores which for some reason were not copied through the dedicated transfer facility or score files for some reason escaping IMSLP's file redirect facility.
Anyone interested in contributing under the WIMA name can still do so through IMSLP. Follow the usual file submission instructions, but add the text {{WIMAProject}} (with brackets exactly as shown) to the Misc. Notes field on the file upload form. This will result in the files being displayed in this category, and the work page will contain a note that the files are part of WIMA. This has also been noted on the general WIMA category.

Lastly, I would like to express immense gratitude to the various WIMA contributors who did the actual work of moving tens of thousands of files here, despite frequent issues with page organization caused by the hugely different setups of the two sites. Tempers occasionally flared (on both sides) and it took a while to get things straightened out between the WIMA users and IMSLP staff, but nevertheless I think we have jointly managed to organize things pretty well within IMSLP. I hope that this site proves satisfactory as a new home for your work.

Cheers,
-KGill
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I wish to second KGill's expression of of thanks to the WIMA uploaders for their truly Herculean task. This project got under way almost a year ago and we've seen IMSLP expand from just over 100,000 files to more than 210,000. The WIMA transfer has also resulted in improvements in the way IMSLP handles things - notably in the area of collections, whether of a single-composer or multiple composers. Special thanks also to Christian Mondrup and the other WIMA contributors who worked patiently behind the scenes to integrate their collection into the the very different organizational system used here, contacted composers, arrangers and editors on which versions of the CC licenses to use, etc. All in all it is a very welcome addition which considerably enhances our archive of earlier music - which was fairly spotty when it all started.
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

What a year! After almost a year of hard work, I can't believe this project is finally finished. I thought it would be only appropriate to celebrate this with a post on the IMSLP journal.

http://imslpjournal.org/wima-project-complete/

To paraphrase Carolus, I think we could all use a two month vacation! :)