Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

dsimons
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: IMSLP to merge with WIMA

Post by dsimons »

I'm afraid I still haven't figured out all the ins and outs of uploading using the mystical WIMA uploader. The good news is that somehow I did manage to upload Albinoni's Introdutione Secondo from Balletti a Cinque. Maybe. I did delete the parts of the WIMA URL before "scores". It's on the Albinoni work page "Balletti a Cinque".

Now the various pieces of bad news:

1. In the process of trying to upload it, I evidently created two other works pages, "Introdutione Secondo" and "Suite from Balletti a Cinque," I'm not quite sure what happened, but I may have somehow created these pages, then backtracked, then tried to re-enter them, but on re-entering, definitely could not find the mystical WIMA uploader link. Or something like that. And I couldn't find any way to delete these now spurious works pages, so maybe you or someone more powerful than I want to do that. In any event it does raise the question I touched on in my earlier post: If a page for the work already exists, then how do I proceed and gain access to the mystical WIMA uploader?

2. The other bad news is that I can't seem to download the file I thought I just uploaded. When I click on the link to the score, it seems to try to go to

http://imslp.org/imglnks/restimg/b/ba/4 ... lbbal0.pdf

but just gets seriously stuck. After about 5 minutes I did get a message from acrobat saying a file I/O error had occurred.

--Don Simons
dsimons
regular poster

Post by dsimons »

Regarding item 2 above, problem is solved...I had the score open directly from WIMA, and evidently that confused Acrobat or IMSLP when I tried the new link.

--Don Simons
dsimons
regular poster

Post by dsimons »

Further progress, and another question. Just uploaded Barsanti's Sonata II in C, adding it to an existing work page. I swear the first time I tried clicking the "WIMA" link on that page it took me somewhere besides the mystical WIMA uploader, but the next I got it. Or maybe I'm just nuts.

Anyhow, I notice that the other single sonata on the page
http://imslp.org/wiki/6_Sonatas_for_Rec ... Francesco)
has a nice bold heading "Sonata No. 1 in D minor." Where should I have entered text that I wanted to appear as that sort of header?

--Don Simons
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Headings like that are imposed on the page later, by editing it. If you’ve edited Wikipedia it should be relatively familiar.

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
dsimons
regular poster

Post by dsimons »

Sorry, I haven't edited Wikipedia, and I don't have a clue how to proceed. In fact, this raises a more general question. Suppose I want to make any change in content of a page. How do I do that? In particular, suppose I've edited the uploaded score itself. How do I go about replacing the older version? And is there any special way to document the update?

--Don Simons
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

To replace a score you already uploaded with a newer version, click on the score number (next to the download arrow) to get to the page of this particular score. There you will find an option to replace the score.
Now, if you want to change the layout of a workpage, add info, add links etc. etc. I personally find it easiest to do this by copy and paste - rather than learning wiki code.
I find another workpage with the feature I would like to use, and open it with the edit button, and locate the syntax for the element I want to emulate - you only have to be very careful with the winged brackets ({{ }}) - any mixup with these may totally corrupt the page - and always check with "preview" before saving your changes.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

dsimons wrote:1. In the process of trying to upload it, I evidently created two other works pages, "Introdutione Secondo" and "Suite from Balletti a Cinque," I'm not quite sure what happened, but I may have somehow created these pages, then backtracked, then tried to re-enter them, but on re-entering, definitely could not find the mystical WIMA uploader link. Or something like that. And I couldn't find any way to delete these now spurious works pages, so maybe you or someone more powerful than I want to do that. In any event it does raise the question I touched on in my earlier post: If a page for the work already exists, then how do I proceed and gain access to the mystical WIMA uploader?
The two extra pages you created have now been redirected to the page with the uploaded file. Where are you looking on the page for the link to the uploader? It should appear on every page (including ones created in Feb. '06), below all the files linked to and right above the 'Commercial Recordings' section. (The link is in the line 'Upload from external sources: Sibley, WIMA, FTP' that appears right below the two big buttons for 'Add File' and 'Add Multiple Files'.) Is it not appearing there for you?
2. The other bad news is that I can't seem to download the file I thought I just uploaded. When I click on the link to the score, it seems to try to go to

http://imslp.org/imglnks/restimg/b/ba/4 ... lbbal0.pdf

but just gets seriously stuck. After about 5 minutes I did get a message from acrobat saying a file I/O error had occurred.
The URL you're using appears to be the one that the file was accessible from before it went through the copyright review process (i.e., before it was generally accessible to download. Only the uploader of the file and copyright reviewers can download it in this period). After files are released, they are moved out of the 'restimg' directory and either transferred to the 'usimg' directory or migrate to another server altogether. In this case I think you can access the file at http://imslp.org/imglnks/usimg/b/ba/IMS ... lbbal0.pdf
Anyhow, I notice that the other single sonata on the page
http://imslp.org/wiki/6_Sonatas_for_Rec ... Francesco)
has a nice bold heading "Sonata No. 1 in D minor." Where should I have entered text that I wanted to appear as that sort of header?
It's not possible to enter text on the upload form to create those headings - rather, you must edit the page after the file is submitted. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' tab on the very top of the page when you are logged in. That will take you to an editable text box where you can modify pretty much anything on the page. Headings are created by encasing the text of the heading in either three, four, or five equal signs:

Code: Select all

===Parts===
{{#fte:imslpfile
etc.
}}

====Sonata No.1 in D minor====
etc.

===Arrangements and Transcriptions===
====Sonata No.1 in D minor====
=====For 5 Recorders=====
Level 3 headers (i.e., ones with three equal signs) are used to create the colorful tabs seen on many pages, and a level 4 header was used to create the bold text you mentioned in your post.
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

I receive emails from quite a few WIMA contributors feeling frustrated with the introduction in the IMSLP Project page on how to upload scores from WIMA to IMSLP.

Therefore I've started composing my own, additional online introduction maintained on the WIMA server. Based on the emails I've received I'm explaining some procedures rather detailed accompanied by example screen shots.

Please let me know if you have suggestions for the present documentation which I'm going to expand by and by. Documentation is time consuming, so please be patient.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

reccmo wrote:I receive emails from quite a few WIMA contributors feeling frustrated with the introduction in the IMSLP Project page on how to upload scores from WIMA to IMSLP.

Therefore I've started composing my own, additional online introduction maintained on the WIMA server. Based on the emails I've received I'm explaining some procedures rather detailed accompanied by example screen shots.

Please let me know if you have suggestions for the present documentation which I'm going to expand by and by. Documentation is time consuming, so please be patient.
Thank you very much for doing this; I've linked to it on the IMSLP project page. It's probably better for someone who is more of an outside observer to IMSLP (i.e., who hasn't worked behind the scenes here nearly every day for two years and has grown completely accustomed to IMSLP's setup) to write the guide anyway :)
VictorEijkhout
forum adept

Post by VictorEijkhout »

reccmo wrote: Please have a look at the list of WIMA contributors on the WIMA server. The list contains all contributors having until now consented in having their scores transferred to WIMA.
My name is on that list and should not be. I guess my mail to Christian got lost. Or some other misunderstanding. No big deal.

I have already created a composer page for myself and am moving stuff over, or rather just uploading it to IMSLP. Gives me a chance to clean stuf up too.

Victor.
wrshannon
regular poster

Post by wrshannon »

I volunteer to help with the transfer, starting with my contributions.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

wrshannon wrote:I volunteer to help with the transfer, starting with my contributions.
Excellent :) You've been added to the official list of project members.
dsimons
regular poster

Post by dsimons »

With good guidance and patience I've managed to upload 3 more of my typesets. But when I got to Luigi Rossi I ran into trouble...once again I can't seem to get to the mystical WIMA uploader. It occurs to me that all the ones I've been successful with are ones for which there was already a "work" page and I added to that using the "WIMA" link. But for the Rossi Passacaille I need to create a new work page. The only path forward from the "Luigi Rossi" composer page seems to be the "Add a piece to this page" link, which takes me to what I think is the normal upload page. Whatever it is, I don't see a "WIMA" link either there or on the composer page, like there was on the work pages I had dealt with before.
dsimons
regular poster

Post by dsimons »

OOPS! Please disregard my last post. I WAS able to create the work page. Rossi is in place.

--Don Simons
jeff_harrington
regular poster

Post by jeff_harrington »

I've noticed that every score of mine at IMSLP, regardless as to whether I ever uploaded it to WIMA is now marked as:

These file(s) are part of the Werner Icking Music Collection.

Does that matter? Doesn't really bother me...

Jeff