Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

IMSLP to merge with WIMA

Post by KGill »

I am pleased to announce that in the coming months, IMSLP will merge with the Werner Icking Music Archive (WIMA). This will eventually result in WIMA's entire collection being posted to IMSLP. As of 28 August, this project is officially active.
Needless to say, with WIMA hosting about 65000 PDF files and many more audio files, this will be an effort of Herculean proportions. In order to accomplish this task with maximum efficiency, IMSLP will form a project team to systematically transfer files here. WIMA will end up as IMSLP's largest community project: their editions will be marked as belonging to a sort of 'WIMA collection', and there will be a special set of pages created to detail the merge and provide some background on WIMA. Therefore, the Werner Icking Archive is in no way dying - it is simply moving to a new home, one that I hope WIMA contributors will see as providing many advantages, such as the highly active community and the detailed categorization system.
You can also read the open letter on WIMA's website at this link: http://icking-music-archive.org/IMSLP.php
Christian Mondrup, the current manager of the Icking Archive, has already begun to receive replies in the affirmative to this message (which was sent to all WIMA contributors), and there is no reason to put off the start of the merge. We are looking for anyone willing to volunteer his or her time to help transfer WIMA files to IMSLP. You must sign up with the project and read the guidelines in order to take part. Please let us know in this thread if you are willing to participate - your efforts will be greatly appreciated.
pjones235
active poster

Re: IMSLP to merge with WIMA

Post by pjones235 »

I'd be glad to help!
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

as soon as i get done with Sibley i'm on it! ..... ........ .... years later.... ...... . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. .. . . . ....more years.... . . .......
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

What about the non pdf files of WIMA?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Well the least I can do is to transfer the pdf's I've contributed to WIMA! Afterwards I'll have time to transfer pdf's contributed by others.

I still miss a "style guide" to put the right tags into my transfers so users understand it's part of the WIMA collection.

Off topic: shouldn't the subject of this topic be "WIMA to merge with IMSLP" instead of "IMSLP to merge with WIMA" ? :)
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

icactus wrote:as soon as i get done with Sibley i'm on it! ..... ........ .... years later.... ...... . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. .. . . . ....more years.... . . .......
Is that a yes? :wink:
Notenschreiber wrote:What about the non pdf files of WIMA?
The uploading of the audio files will be delayed until a new IMSLP feature that enables us to clearly distinguish MIDI files from human-generated ones is implemented. After that, all of them will be open to upload. The source files will be uploaded to a server hosted by Choralia and deep-linked to from IMSLP. The TeX software currently hosted by WIMA will not be transferred to IMSLP, but will stay on the current Choralia-managed server.
coulonnus wrote:Well the least I can do is to transfer the pdf's I've contributed to WIMA! Afterwards I'll have time to transfer pdf's contributed by others.

I still miss a "style guide" to put the right tags into my transfers so users understand it's part of the WIMA collection.

Off topic: shouldn't the subject of this topic be "WIMA to merge with IMSLP" instead of "IMSLP to merge with WIMA" ? :)
Perhaps it should :) I don't think it makes much difference, though, especially when you read up to the second sentence of the thread :wink: The project page, templates, etc. have not actually been set up yet; I'll see if I can do that tonight and give links from this thread.
Thanks to our volunteers so far :)
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

KGill wrote: Perhaps it should :) I don't think it makes much difference, though, especially when you read up to the second sentence of the thread :wink: The project page, templates, etc. have not actually been set up yet; I'll see if I can do that tonight and give links from this thread.
Thanks to our volunteers so far :)
Nothing like a sensational headline to grab the attention of IMSLP posters. I was going to suggest changing it as well but then realized how affective it was as a hook.
afolop
regular poster

Post by afolop »

I am ready to do what I can to transfer the viol music scores from WIMA to IMSLP. Tell me when and how. :)
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

afolop wrote:I am ready to do what I can to transfer the viol music scores from WIMA to IMSLP. Tell me when and how. :)
Great :) The project will probably become fully active in the next couple days, once a couple final details are sorted out. In the meantime, I would recommend creating an account on the wiki (I can't find one, so I assume you are new to contributing to the site :wink: ) and doing a few edits to get a feel for things. You probably want to look through the pages aimed at new contributors at the Contributor Portal, the simple guide to uploading scores being of particular importance to this project. Ideally, by the time you begin contributing to the WIMA transferral, you will know the ropes pretty well :)
-----------------
To Everyone: The official project page for the WIMA merge is now available here. All prospective project members should read this page as it contains a number of instructions. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more that are not covered by that page. After the resolution of one or two more minor issues, I think the project will be ready to begin. 8)
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Hi Kenny,

as a one-time WIMA contributor (literally: one score!) I decided to pull across my sole contribution a little bit ahead of the general WIMA assimilation, and it currently has the {{WIMA}} template. Please feel free to munge that page in any extra way you need to, in order to test how the linking back to the equivalent WIMA page is going to work. (The work page is: Missa Et ecce terræ motus (Brumel, Antoine) and the source page is: WIMA/ByComposer/Brumel.php.)

One notable item to add to the process: we should look to pull across are the score preview images that many (if not all?) of the scores possess. These are often very useful to see the first page of music ahead of downloading it. In order to work as previews, I suspect they will have to be uploaded to the Wiki; thus, file naming could be awkward. I think at a minimum, since they are organised by directories bearing the composer’s surname, that the new name should add the surname, e.g. brumel_agnus_reconstr.png in the case of the preview for my score.

Cheers, PML
--
PML (talk)
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

KGill wrote:
afolop wrote:I am ready to do what I can to transfer the viol music scores from WIMA to IMSLP. Tell me when and how. :)
Great :) The project will probably become fully active in the next couple days, once a couple final details are sorted out. In the meantime, I would recommend creating an account on the wiki (I can't find one, so I assume you are new to contributing to the site :wink: ) and doing a few edits to get a feel for things. You probably want to look through the pages aimed at new contributors at the Contributor Portal, the simple guide to uploading scores being of particular importance to this project. Ideally, by the time you begin contributing to the WIMA transferral, you will know the ropes pretty well :)
-----------------
To Everyone: The official project page for the WIMA merge is now available here. All prospective project members should read this page as it contains a number of instructions. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more that are not covered by that page. After the resolution of one or two more minor issues, I think the project will be ready to begin. 8)
From my point of view a major issue is an automagic generation of http redirect statements for each file transferred from WIMA to IMSLP. These statements must be appended to a log file made readable, at least for me. I need the content of the log file for maintaining a .htaccess file on the WIMA server. Maybe that facility has already been implemented? If not, then someone with knowledge about IMSLP technical internals should prepare it.

I'll very much prefer to suspend the start of the transfer until that facility has been implemented and tested or numerous links from other servers to WIMA will inevitably get invalid.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

reccmo wrote:From my point of view a major issue is an automagic generation of http redirect statements for each file transferred from WIMA to IMSLP. These statements must be appended to a log file made readable, at least for me. I need the content of the log file for maintaining a .htaccess file on the WIMA server. Maybe that facility has already been implemented? If not, then someone with knowledge about IMSLP technical internals should prepare it.

I'll very much prefer to suspend the start of the transfer until that facility has been implemented and tested or numerous links from other servers to WIMA will inevitably get invalid.
What format should the log file be in? It is possible to start a list of entries for files uploaded here; I have added instructions to the project page to do so on the new page IMSLP:WIMA/Log. Is that format OK? (There has only been one file uploaded so far.)
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

KGill wrote:What format should the log file be in? It is possible to start a list of entries for files uploaded here; I have added instructions to the project page to do so on the new page IMSLP:WIMA/Log. Is that format OK? (There has only been one file uploaded so far.)
I'm not really happy with this. See my comments and suggestions in viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5224&p=27761#p27761
mikemoral

Post by mikemoral »

I'm willing to help. Doing something useful for once might be good. :) Just let me know how I can help.
--Mikemoral,

Wikimedian and musician
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

mikemoral wrote:I'm willing to help. Doing something useful for once might be good. :) Just let me know how I can help.
Thank you for your offer :) At present, we are waiting for the technical implementation of something that will make it rather more efficient to contribute to the project, and unfortunately the most one can do right now is carefully read over the project page as it contains a number of instructions (which I have just amended). We are going to try to kick off the uploading as soon as possible, but things are still slightly up in the air.