Proposal: The IMSLP Orchestra

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

Alonso del Arte
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Proposal: The IMSLP Orchestra

Post by Alonso del Arte »

I would like to start the IMSLP Orchestra, and to have them make the world-premiere recording of the Symphony in C major by Franz Asplmayr. It would be like the YouTube Orchestra, except the players would not necessarily have to meet, and some players could play multiple instruments (e.g., a bassoonist could play both bassoon parts). These would all be synchronized by a mechanical playing of my figured bass realization; each player would listen to the continuo through headphones, which would hopefully not bleed into the recording of their playing. Later on a skilled harpsichordist could give a less mechanical performance that would be integrated into the finished recording.

The mechanical continuo should be available on the same IMSLP page as the score and part PDFs pretty soon. The players could also post their individual recordings on that same page. In the MP3 format, 128kbps (mono) or 256kbps (stereo) will do just fine.

Carolus let me know about something similar that has been done with choirs: Eric Whitacre assembled a massive choir this way to perform his composition ''Sleep''. For this project, fewer players than a chamber orchestra would be required.
imslp
Site Admin

Re: Proposal: The IMSLP Orchestra

Post by imslp »

This is very cool! Please keep me posted on the progress. Once we do this a few times it might even be possible to figure out a way to automate this.
Alonso del Arte

I will. I have already asked a couple of people specifically so hopefully (depending on their schedules) we will have one of the string parts next week.

Al
Alonso del Arte

At Matesic's request, I have slowed down the first movement Allegro vivace in the continuo and added some treble notes for those bars in the Maestoso with no bass notes.

The only reason that I had previously doubted my original tempo marking of DottedHalfNote = 90 for the first movement Allegro is that it makes the first movement feel like the shortest one of the Symphony, even though with the slow introduction it is slightly longer than the Finale. I tried slowing it down to as much as 60, but at that tempo it drags so much there is no "vivace" to it. I think 70 may be the perfect compromise.

It almost goes without saying that the metronome was not available during Asplmayr's time.
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

pjones235
active poster

Post by pjones235 »

This sounds like a fantastic idea! I'd love to be involved. :D
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

Eric Whitacre actually did something like this with one of his pieces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7o7BrlbaDs
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
GFrank

Post by GFrank »

Like Eric Whitacre's approach, you may find yourself with more interesting performances if you supply not necessarily just a continuo part but rather (or perhaps additionally), a video of a conductor conducting the piece in silence. That way, the piece's tempo becomes somewhat variable, and dynamics, expression, etc. are more consistent across musical contributions. Just a suggestion!
pjones235
active poster

Post by pjones235 »

I thought about that too... it would seem hard to play at the correct tempo and with the correct dynamics if you are sitting by yourself in your living room.
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

GFrank wrote:... a video of a conductor conducting the piece in silence...
That's a brilliant idea. The conductor would, of course, look barking mad....

:lol:

... but so what? It's the result that counts. Great sacrifices must be made for great art! :mrgreen:
sigma

Post by sigma »

Flutist of 10+ years reporting in. I have wanted to do something like this many times.

Edit: Aww, no flute part. :(
pjones235
active poster

Post by pjones235 »

Do want one recording for each instrument or can multiple people send in a recording?
keehun

Post by keehun »

I think this is a great idea. I would love to participate in any way I can!
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

GFrank wrote:... a video of a conductor conducting the piece in silence.
I would suggest a video of the condutor with the continuo as audio. This could either be cello, or harpsichord or both.
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
keehun

Post by keehun »

The piece (In reference to Franz Asplmayr's piece) seems really doable. Simple duple meter, nothing incredible fast, and standard rhythms.