Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Appeal for Help with Sibley Project

Post by Carolus »

I doubt there is an easy way to determine what is eligible for upload. Sibley uses a single metric - publication before 1923 (plus a few items issued afterwards based on the Section 108 exemption). With Canada's law the chief thing is the date of the composer, but there are also the dates of arrangers, non-urtext editors, librettists and translators to consider. The death dates for additional contributors such as these is often lacking. Canada's 50 pma term applies to the last-surviving contributor, so it can be a trap for anything published in the last 85 years or so.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Carolus wrote:I doubt there is an easy way to determine what is eligible for upload.
Sorry, perhaps I put two topics to close to each other. In my second paragraph I just wanted to know the sum of two numbers:
1: the number of Sibley scores we may upload on on imslp.
2: the number of scores me may not because of their copyright status.
This yields the number of scores a US visitor may download directly from the Sibley Site. :-)
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

i hadn't run any of the filters on the 8000-12,000 (or whatever page 2 is) links so i'll run those tonight. I'll write a script to search and remove all the "withdrawn" and "Restricted". They should all be gone by tomorrow. I didn't expect to get through the first 7000 so quickly so this is a good surprise!

Also, Sibley seems to be somewhat consistent about when a file contains "selections" so I'll write something to flag the obvious ones and separate them out so we can get the easy ones up more quickly.

UPDATE: All Page 2 links have been filtered. Should only be left with PD-everywhere links to upload with the rare exception. Still need to do the selections filtering.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

I've just had a quick look at the "Unknown Dates" list for the 8000 - 11999 page. Quite a few of them do already have pages here with biography details, so I have started adding some dates. I'm off to work so I don't have time to do the full list, but will try to work on it later.

AJ
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

I figured that might be the case that many would have dates here. The program I wrote just checks if Sibley provides dates for the individual and if not reports back as "unknown dates." I figured it's more effective to get through the easy ones to upload first and then start date hunting for the others since in my experience most composers with unknown dates on Sibley end up being impossible to find.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Sibley is solely concerned with USA copyright status, so dates of secondary contributors like arrangers, librettists and editors are often lacking in their records. Since we have to factor in copyright status for most of the planet, death dates are much more important for us. I have found that we already have a rather impressive listing of names and dates for arrangers, editors and others. Using the Google search box often will display the needed info from a location on the wiki - which will make the manual searching a little easier for the items picked up in the "unknown dates" category. If it's not to be found on IMSLP, then it's off to MusicSack and VIAF and other places.
pjones235
active poster

Post by pjones235 »

I wouldn't mind helping! :D
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

Hey PJones235!

Thanks for offering your help! We're on to page 2 of the Link List now: http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Sibley_Mirr ... ist_Page_2. Let me know if you have any questions but it looks like you know your way around IMSLP. :)

The more people we can get to help the faster we might actually be able to catch up to the present! We're a long way off right now but it's possible.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Could Step 8 of the Walkthrough (link deletion) be done automatically by the server each time someone uses the Sibley Mirroring Project Simplified Submitter? This would make participants more productive.

The Link list says: "Please always use this method for uploading these files so we can update this list automatically". But what does this automatic update means?
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

Could Step 8 of the Walkthrough (link deletion) be done automatically by the server each time someone uses the Sibley Mirroring Project Simplified Submitter? This would make participants more productive.

The Link list says: "Please always use this method for uploading these files so we can update this list automatically". But what does this automatic update means?
I have a script that I run every couple days that automatically adds the latest Sibley files to the link list. The script also checks the most recent 250 files uploaded on IMSLP that contain "1802.xxxxx" in the file name and filters those out of the link list since they have already been uploaded. That's the "automatic" part. I don't know how complicated it would be to have the file automatically removed when using the sibley upload template but there's probably some way to do it.

I notice you delete the sibley link after every file you upload. I upload 5-10 links and then go back and delete the links all at once to save a little time. Not a big deal but slightly "more productive" :)
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

icactus wrote:I notice you delete the sibley link after every file you upload. I upload 5-10 links and then go back and delete the links all at once to save a little time. Not a big deal but slightly "more productive" :)
I do so because 1: this prevents from deleting a wrong link, because always I copy-paste the 5-digit number I just made into the Search field of my browser to reach the line to be deleted 2: this prevents another contributor from uploading the same score 3: I'm so happy :D when a score is done!
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Wow! Good job, folks! You've managed to finish page 2.

AJ
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

If we could just get one or two more people to help we'd really be moving along! Please!! Anyone else! Just ask if you need help!
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

I have two questions regarding posting material from Sibley.
1. If I post a PD-US only score to the US server should I remove the link from the Sibley link list or merely note that it has been uploaded to imslp.us?
2. If I post a collection as a collection without splitting it up among individual work pages should the link be removed from the Sibley link list or merely noted as having been posted as a collection?

Thanks,
Cypressdome
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

cypressdome wrote:I have two questions regarding posting material from Sibley.
1. If I post a PD-US only score to the US server should I remove the link from the Sibley link list or merely note that it has been uploaded to imslp.us?
I would delete it. I imagine once the work becomes PD everywhere it is automatically moved to all the different non PD-US servers for circulation unless I'm wrong.
cypressdome wrote: 2. If I post a collection as a collection without splitting it up among individual work pages should the link be removed from the Sibley link list or merely noted as having been posted as a collection?
I don't bother uploading any collections and instead just mark them as needing to be split to come back to once the link list gets caught up to the present. If it makes sense to upload the whole collection as is then I'd mark it as "uploaded but not split" and leave it.