Very sad

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

duchamp
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Very sad

Post by duchamp »

I do not see Universal publish any Thalberg or Henselt works for example, which will probably not be published for a long time, if ever. As a pianist I will make a point of never buying a Universal edition unless they are the sole publishers, generally this does not seem to be the case.
kiisaka

Sad sad sad... BOYCOTT UE!!!!

Post by kiisaka »

I am sorry that UE had to resort to such bully tactics to protect its business, being threatened by the change in technology.

Much of the music publishing industry is based on republication of public-domain materials, which really do not add much value to the rest of us. Some of the publishers resorted to intentionally inserting incorrect notes and some additional markings to assert a copyright.

While I have purchased and championed composers whose works are being printed and published by UE, but I am afraid to say that I will go out of my way to avoid them.

Thank goodness UE doesn't publish Alkan.
indutrial

Re: Sad sad sad... BOYCOTT UE!!!!

Post by indutrial »

kiisaka wrote:I am sorry that UE had to resort to such bully tactics to protect its business, being threatened by the change in technology.

Much of the music publishing industry is based on republication of public-domain materials, which really do not add much value to the rest of us. Some of the publishers resorted to intentionally inserting incorrect notes and some additional markings to assert a copyright.

While I have purchased and championed composers whose works are being printed and published by UE, but I am afraid to say that I will go out of my way to avoid them.

Thank goodness UE doesn't publish Alkan.
I can't wait for some of these publishers to go bankrupt, because they add next to nothing to the music world. They are the bane of any music researcher's existence because their pricing is geared towards libraries' deeper pockets and the bigger companies have been buying out lots of littler ones and letting tons of works go completely out-of-print.

Since I began studying twentieth century music, I've noticed more and more that these companies are causing tons of composers' works to literally disappear off the face of the earth. They own all of the works, of course, but spend all of their resources repackaging Beethoven and Mozart. Nothing that is being done on their end is good. Nothing at all. Especially now that an individual can create a better score than those idiots by spending a couple of weeks learning how to master Sibelius.
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

Can I just add my sentiments to those above.

Let it be hereby known that neither I will not be purchasing any music or other product produced by Universal Edition, from this day forward. Even if they are the sole publisher. Let my repertoire be poorer due to the lack of such pieces, rather than one cent of my money going anywhere near them.

There was a comment on another thread about money - people mentioning donating but LOTS OF TALK AND NO ACTION.

Well, tell us how much is needed and where to send it! Give us a paypal account, anything! No individual has the entire sum needed, but out of all those tens of thousands of hits a day that IMSLP was receiving, surely a lot of people sending a little each has to count for something!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Aldona (very p****d off, still have lots of scores to scan!)
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

I agree with Aldona. Give us something (eg. Paypal) to send money. I'm sure if everybody is willing to chip in, we can help IMSLP in one way or another. To people who say they are willing to help IMSLP financially, now is the time to walk the talk and not give empty promises! You have benefitted from IMSLP by downloading hard to find scores previously unavailable, now is the time to help IMSLP in its time of need.
Feldmahler, I know you are physically and mentally exhausted. But you cannot just throw in the towel now. But doing so, you are just admitting defeat with a whimper and the music publishers will now be more daring and start to bully other sites and before you know it, all sites will be forced to close down.

I don't care if I will be banned from the forums, I'll say this just once:

SCR*W THEM AND LET THEM ROT IN H*LL!
Kalli
forum adept

Post by Kalli »

I'm very angry about the behaviour of the UE. In fact the german (and I think the austrian) copyright ist very strict. In Germany, we have to pay lots of money to purchase sheetmusic from a german publisher such as UE, Schott Music, Peters, Sikorski, Breitkopf und Haertel and so on. In the last few years, I bought some of my sheetmusic in the USA by the internet. It was just cheaper to carry this sheetmusic to Germany than to buy it in a local store!