What to do temporarily?

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

ras1
active poster

What to do temporarily?

Post by ras1 »

I read, somewhat sadly, the decision to keep IMSLP down for the remainder of the semester. While I understand your reasons, I wish there were some way to make the clearly PD files available sooner. It seems like a lot of people agree, so would there be a way to temporarily open parts of the site? This would only be a short-term condition, and I think it would be very good for a lot of people.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

If you find a way to quickly sort the 15000 files by copyright status, please let us know. Not to mention the 4000 files that were already uploaded before the copyright tagging system was installed :?
Funper
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Funper »

If you find a way to quickly sort the 15000 files by copyright status, please let us know.
Didn't we already sort all files? Then what was the copyright review all about? :S
Richard Black
regular poster

Post by Richard Black »

Well, since life+70 years covers the vast majority of the classical-music-downloading world, why not as a temporary measure remove (or remove links to, which will have the desired effect) all composers who died since 1936? That will admittedly leave a few works that are copyright in the USA under the slightly more complicated rules currently in force there - the publishers can probably be relied upon to identify those so they can be removed individually. If they really care _that_ much....
WJM
regular poster

Post by WJM »

Peter wrote:If you find a way to quickly sort the 15000 files by copyright status, please let us know.
According to the copyright law of which of nearly 200 countries?
WJM
regular poster

Post by WJM »

Richard Black wrote:Well, since life+70 years covers the vast majority of the classical-music-downloading world
Vast majority?

Have you quantified this? How?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I understand the frustration, and am very much moved by it. Unfortunately, I am one month away from my masters application, and at the same time have done almost nothing for the past 1.5 weeks. In order for me to deal with this issue properly, and not leave issues that will get magnified later, I believe that it is a good idea to not act hastily. Rest assured, I will be working on this even during the downtime.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

100% agree.
It's better done properly.
Richard Black
regular poster

Post by Richard Black »

Vast majority?

Have you quantified this? How?
Well, how many countries have longer terms than that? Very few, and the only one I could see in the list that has any noticeable classical-music activity is Mexico.

Unless you simply misunderstood me - I meant 70 years covers also, by default, those with 50 years etc.
miguelm97

Post by miguelm97 »

Well, there is a way...
If someone wants a certain score and another person of the forum has it, that person could upload it to RapidShare and send the download link to the person that requested the score, or post the download link in forum sites dedicated to this (there is dozens of them around the net!).
Of course this would be a temporary solution because it would be a hard work for IMSLP upload thousands of scores to RapidShare.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

This encourages Illegal activities however, so it would be better to wait.

If someone asks for Shosta scores, I do know how to acquire them and thus, how to send them. Not a good look and should be discouraged.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

miguelm97 wrote:Well, there is a way...
If someone wants a certain score and another person of the forum has it, that person could upload it to RapidShare and send the download link to the person that requested the score, or post the download link in forum sites dedicated to this (there is dozens of them around the net!).
Of course this would be a temporary solution because it would be a hard work for IMSLP upload thousands of scores to RapidShare.
Let this be clear to all future score requesters: It's not gonna happen. IMSLP has always made a clear point not to promote filesharing / trading / etc to counter any possible illegal exchange (ask Funper :wink: ) .
And it may not seem so , but imslp admins have lives too besides IMSLP.
Downloaders will have to live without IMSLP for a couple of months. The answer to the topic title is: wait.
miguelm97

Post by miguelm97 »

Artic, I understand your point of view because RapidShare, as well as other web hosting sites, might be associated with, let's say, less legal activities (i.e. it's possible to find a lot of software there).
Of course I prefer that IMSLP returns to activity with the same infrastructure of before, however, is it possible that this sad situation of today has occurred because the scores in PDF were stored in the IMSLP site?
I'm just wondering if things would be different if the site would only had posts with links (not live links, only the address) to download the scores and not the scores itself...
I'm asking this because there's a lot of forum sites that post only the links ( to software, music, books in pdf, etc) and I don't see them being shut down for that.
miguelm97

Post by miguelm97 »

Peter wrote: Let this be clear to all future score requesters: It's not gonna happen. IMSLP has always made a clear point not to promote filesharing / trading / etc to counter any possible illegal exchange (ask Funper :wink: ) .
And it may not seem so , but imslp admins have lives too besides IMSLP.
Downloaders will have to live without IMSLP for a couple of months. The answer to the topic title is: wait.
Peter, as I said in my previous post I think that this is not the solution but only because is not a practical way to keep things going and not due to possible illegal exchange.
What's the difference between having a Beethoven score to download in PDF format right from the IMSLP site and a link to download it from an external site? Absolutely none! There's nothing illegal on this.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

IMSLP doesn't to spread out and disband its scores to all across the Internet just because it is down for a few months. It is better to be tight and in control than being all over the place.

Apart from the illegal activity in file sharing places (which again, having files there does NOT help the current situation, legal or not) we do not have the time ourselves to ponder to everyone when we are trying to get IMSLP back on it's feet. I am at the end of my exams at uni (music thankfully) Feldmahler is doing a masters degree, and we are still doing IMSLP.

You really will just have to wait, there will be no REAL short term solution as there is no good or easy way to do it currently.