Copyright information on the former website (Poll)

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

What did you think of the copyright information and submission guidelines on IMSLP?

I didn't care, I just clicked "download" or "upload"
11%
I didn't find the right information / I was not aware of it
No votes
There was just not enough information
11%
Too much and too complicated!
6%
I found it to be a helpful and useful guide, but needed a little help sometimes
72%

Total votes: 18

carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

Sorry for my mistakes about subbmission but some time on guide line there are things not enought clear:

1)Tiles: Many time pieces have strange or complicate titles for examp. :Cavallini "Riminiscenze di Santa Cristina" that is a Sextet but It isn't a normal sextet because is a quintet (2 violas 2 Cellos and a Doublebass) with Viola Solista (obbligata)more.
So It's hard to write a title(the principal title of the work) that permit to understand what the piece is , at first glance.(In the frontespiece is written only Riminiscenze di Santa Cristina!)
I think the title should stay in it's original language too.

At beginning some admin told me I had not to write opus number in the tile.
But If I have to submit 18 opus of duets I cant write olnly "3 duets No.1-3"
because the automatic sistem at the second upload tel me that work already exist.(So I have to write opus number)
I Think that Opus number and No. of work should be always part of title.

2)Copyright:
On your advertisment about copyright you should say also how many years have to pass before fotocoping a score.For example in Italy composer must be dead 70 years ago or more but the score can be fotocopied only after 20 from its pubblication.For example a new edition of Bach copirighted in 2007 can be fotocopied not before 2028.

The name of city of pubblication:Why New York is New York,Berlin is Berlin and Milano is

Milan?

So New York could be Nuova Iork? :D

Why sometime someone corrects plate to Plate other Plate to plate?

Why sometime someone writes for sure the date for example 1850,etc. and(It's not written on score!) other time n.d.,c.a.1850 (And you could deduce for sure by plate number)?

I know that all we can make mistakes, especially when the work is very hard and huge !!! :D

3)Quallity of scans:
Sorry if my scans are not always of great quality but I have never seen the original parts ; I scanned always fotocopies made 30 year ago with a lot of green shadows on them.
When I set up a l/m B/W to scan I have to choose one setting good for all pages and may be it does not suit for some (I can't change scan settings for each page It would be a very very huge work (I scanned much more than 2000 pages!)).
By the way those are all acceptable, better than nothing, the worst is a Violin concert by Spohr but I don't have scanned it, I have found that part online .....

I think too, the substance is is more important than appearance, so sorry if sometime my formatting is bad and I give you a lot of work (But I have never upload a work under copyright !) :D :D :D
Sorry for my english too....

In any case ...changeing subject of conversation....
I have just see that Carolus and Vertighel are reviewing the last submissions...... Is something moveing?
:D :D
Greetings and
Many thanks to all IMSLP Admins

Ciao
Carmar
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

Hi Carmar. I was the one that changed your posts most frequently :D
I don't take them for real mistakes, however, so don't take this topic personally! After all, your contributions had most necessary information, were not copyrighted, only the formatting was changed (btw Milan is English for Milano :).
This brings up again the question of the publication template (it has even been online), which would resolve formatting issues and maybe forces uploaders to do more effort.
There are indeed many things that are not or not clearly in the guideline. However, we didn't now because you didn't ask! :o

But thanks very much for your messages, we (or you?) will take it in account for updating the guide to a more clear version. Cheers