The return of IMSLP

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

yojimboken
regular poster

Welcome back

Post by yojimboken »

Welcome back - It's nice to have the family together again.

- Yojimbo
adeadsniper
regular poster

Unblocking

Post by adeadsniper »

Is there a way for IMSLP to show the progress of the copyright review team?

Many of the scores I would like to download were uploaded by Carmar and are blocked.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Yes, I am working on that right now. The problem is that there is just too many bugs I have to fix at once. But I am indeed reading what is requested, and will have the features available as soon as possible, if I believe the requests to be good.

About copyright reviewing, we currently haven't yet made the copyright review tests, and won't be accepting new copyright reviewers at this time. We will likely do so in the near future, when things settle down a bit. :)
gchirag
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by gchirag »

It's quiet sad that after waiting many months for the ressurrection of IMSLP most of the scores which i would like to download are blocked.

This is a crime committed against music lovers around the world by politicians. This is not the fault of IMSLP but the problem of politicians who just want money.

I feel very sad about this situation.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

As of this writing, there are less than 4000 files (of the 17000 total) that are not yet completely reviewed for copyright status. What files in particular, gchirag, have you tried to access? It might help us to prioritize the remainder of files to be tagged.
gchirag
regular poster

Post by gchirag »

Eric Wolfgang Korngold
Joseph Marx
Sergie Bortkiewicz
Anton Stepanovich
Felix Blumenfield
Catoire, Goergy
Gabrilowitsch
Lyapunov
Medtner
Rimsky
Emil Von Sauer
Xaver Scharwenka
Ignaz Friedman
Schutt
Waldteufel
Tomasek
Vorisek
Kirchner
Bruckner
Volkmann
Jensen
Reinecke

Only some files are not blocked of the above composers. I believe the those composers music is very beautiful and hardly heard by people outside the country of where they composed.
gchirag
regular poster

Post by gchirag »

For example what i couldn't understand is that Reinecke 3 books of etudes are available but the last book is blocked.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

The Reinecke hadn't been checked yet. Naturally, no publication info had been provided so I had to do some research on First Search. Reinecke is now all tagged, so there shouldn't be any further problems with his works for the time being.

This should serve as an example of how you can save time for the copyright reviewers. Try to find out what has been scanned. If nothing else, at least put in the page count. It was there in this case, but all too often it is not. A page count is sometimes the only way we can tell a particular work was an edition from one publisher instead of another.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

gchirag wrote:Eric Wolfgang Korngold
Joseph Marx
Sergie Bortkiewicz
Anton Stepanovich
Felix Blumenfield
Catoire, Goergy
Gabrilowitsch
Lyapunov
Medtner
Rimsky
Emil Von Sauer
Xaver Scharwenka
Ignaz Friedman
Schutt
Waldteufel
Tomasek
Vorisek
Kirchner
Bruckner
Volkmann
Jensen
Reinecke

Only some files are not blocked of the above composers. I believe the those composers music is very beautiful and hardly heard by people outside the country of where they composed.
A list of composers is not a list of files. It would be most helpful to the reviewers to list the specific PDFs that you want to see.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

The Berlioz orchestration 'book'. :P
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Just for you, Yagan. I had to do a bit of research for that one. It is probably free in the EU and Canada as well thanks to the lapsing of the copyright in the US. It's somewhat ironic in light of Kalmus' long history of reprinting public domain titles (which has generated the unending ire of every so-called "legitimate" music publisher in Europe and the USA) that they allowed Theodore Front's English translation to expire. Front lived until 2003, which means the work would have been protected until 2054 in Canada and the 50pma countries, 2074 in the EU and 70pma countries, and 2044 in the USA if they would have filed a renewal at the end of 28 years. Dover reprinted the book in 1993.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Thankyou very muchly. :)
gchirag
regular poster

Post by gchirag »

Yes all the files which are blocked of those composers.

I know things have improved with IMSLP.
miketheorganist

Post by miketheorganist »

Hi there.

Fantastic that this site is back up again!

Just one question: I'm an organist, and I happen to be passionate about the music of Charles Tournemire. I note that all his works (barring the shorter harmonium pieces) are blocked, and just wonder if there is any way someone could let me know when they will have been through the copyright review (I'm checking bascially every day....I'm a sad case). Particularly interested in L'Orgue Mystique.

Many thanks.

M
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

L'Orgue Mystique is under copyright in both the USA and in the EU. It is therefore blocked. We are planning to eventually have cases like this unblocked at least for those areas (Canada, Australia, Asia in general) where the work is free.

I went through the rest of Tournamire's works and did a fast copyright review. Most of the pieces are now unblocked since they are free in both Canada and in the USA. Be sure to purge your browser cache so you can see their actual status. The pertinent publisher info will hopefully be added eventually.