30 day tagging Marathon in July 2015!

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: 30 day tagging Marathon in July 2015!

Post by Eric »

Ah. Sallen112, somehow I had the impression that you were encouraging people who already were part of the "tagging group" to buckle in. Is P.Davydov aware that the Marathon involves inviting all and any interested to start tagging for the month of July? Somehow, that detail had escaped me. It's not an exclusive thing for the sake of being cliquish (if anything, I don't feel like I understand the rules involved - which you way oversimplify - and I still consider my returning-to-tagging a temporary thing.)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

If one has to go over the recently-tagged works and retag all the mistagged works because of this error in judgment inviting all and sundry to tag -

(reminding me of the character in that Dilbert cartoon whose praiseworthy behavior- in principle- working all night each night all week was offset by all the work others had to do undoing all his mistakes, since all that night he did nothing right)

then - well, hey, that'll be fun too, I guess. PFFT :( :( :(
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

To be fair I don't anyone has signed on who doesn't have a lot of experience with the behind the scenes editing of imslp and as long as you know where your limits are in terms of tagging the learning curve is pretty simple once you find some examples to copy. I highly doubt the time it takes to double check someone elses tags is in anyway similar to the time it takes to tag in the first place.

By implying that somehow things are better if handled by a smaller number of contributors leads to the situation present where said small number of contributors cannot keep up with the load. If Wikipedia had kept the same attitude it would be a massively unwieldy site. Having someone check my work and letting me know when I'm off I think is much more in IMSLP's long-term interests than suggesting user contributions are a net negative to tagging.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Guys I absolutely appreciate everyone's willingness to help out with this event! I agree with icactus about this task would of been much more daunting if Davydov and Steltz were the only ones continuing doing the tagging and no one else was going to step up and help out with this task. The backlog would never have been cleaned out if it was those two, with there busy lives offline, this list could never get done ever. I know it is time consuming but long term, this massive amount of tagging has to be done at some point (its dirty work you could say) and post marathon, I am hoping we can keep up with the tagging, just like Carolus keeps up daily with the copyright tagging. I imagine the tagging of workpages after this month will go back to a couple people keeping up with the tagging either week to week or daily, we will figure this out later but this is just my thoughts on how we will look out long term with tagging duties around here.

Its like unfortunately compared to my real life job I currently work, where i have to clean the store floor everyday to make it nice for the customers to come in and buy the food they need to get and leave. I don't know if that is a great example compared to what we are doing, but these types of grunt work jobs got to be done by someone or many people to keep things in tip top shape!

Remember guys it lightens the load up more with more hands available to step up than done by a few!
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

On request, here's a category for pages with only one tag -

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Single_tag_pages
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Thank you Feldmahler!
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Just to let everyone know who is wondering about the state of the marathon, the marathon as of today has officially ended. Thanks again for everyone's help in this event, it's been great!
Fynnjamin
regular poster

Post by Fynnjamin »

Looks like it's time for another tagging marathon to deal with the current backlog (over 3,200 untagged pages). A large number of these pages (e.g. the dreaded hornpipes) have been left over a year now (mostly due to erroneous or insufficient information on the part of the uploader)
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

You might have to ask some other admins maybe to help you out, afraid too busy to help with that list now unless you want to lead the effort? Kind of wish Steltz would come back online to do the tagging once again...
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

I might be able to help out a little, even if it's just a couple of hours a week.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Ok great! Yeah too busy this time around to really help with it, if you can get a team, the list can get down much more quickly. I can help only if you guys get some kind of team going.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Looks like there are over a thousand works with unknown tag errors that need fixing, so I'll start there. If you get the time to do any tagging that's great, but don't spread yourself too thin. It's all going to take months, not days or weeks.