30 day tagging Marathon in July 2015!

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

Sallen112
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: 30 day tagging Marathon in July 2015!

Post by Sallen112 »

Excellent Massentique! We are now up to 7 people for sure! Now we are looking for at least 2-3 more people!
Fynnjamin
regular poster

Post by Fynnjamin »

I'll gladly do some!
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Great thanks so much Fynn! Now we are up to 8 people! Looking for two more volunteers! Anyone interested at all?
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

I can tag in August only.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Hi William

Our event is in July not August. We made a decision based on the likeliness of people being most on for that month. If you cannot make July, I would suggest not joining then. You would be welcome to do any tagging once July is over to keep the untagged list down if you would like in August.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

I will be around some of July and I will see what I can do. - ES

(Most of July except for the period July 9-14, when I'll be visiting family and will have much more limited access at best.)
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Hello all committed volenteers!

Just to let all committed volenteers know around June 1st (or Sunday the day before), I will be sending everyone an email or message on the person's talkpage (on IMSLP) or a private message on the forums here if all the other ways of communicating to each person fails, detailing and as a reminder of the Tagging Marathon coming up in July. Then another reminder around the 15th and then the week before the event (the 24th) I still would like to get at least 1-2 more volunteers to help so we don't have to commit more than 10 pieces per day for people that are not showing up everyday! (Eric is going to be gone for a week in July, that I know). I am sorry to have to bug everyone on here but if I don't bug enough, you guys might forget about this!

Please keep in mind (I will be repeating this several times between now through July), if you are still committed to this task, YOU MUST BE ON EVERYDAY at some point throughout each day (from July 1st - July 31st). I understand people may be busy or whatnot throughout each day but if you forget to come on, then the next day you will have to tag more pieces (like 20) to make up the day before, two days 30 pieces etc. so don't get behind! Find a time to tag pieces (after you get up, an hour break to access the internet from work or not, before going to bed, whatever!), it should only take at most an hour if you work quickly! So really for the sake of all volunteers on here, please be on everyday. This way you can meet the 10 pieces to tag requirement per day. I still believe we can get the list to being as close to zero as possible if we are all committed! We will have to use Grove for the people who have access especially for the Medieval-Classical works, maybe the Romantic-Modern, those would help too!

I will be on everyday throughout the month (not on every hour obviously, have real life commitments too but they won't take up all day!). Keep in mind also that its only for ONE MONTH. Afterwards you don't have to do anymore tagging if you wish since the untagged list will be so low, it will be pretty easy to manage by a couple of taggers daily, after the month has passed (in August and beyond!). If you have questions, contact Davydov or Steltz for questions on certain tags or questionable workpages for tags that you cannot figure out or are not comfortable tagging.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Hi again all volunteers, I changed my mind about the reminders (I was going to send one today or tomorrow). I will be sending everyone one on the 20th of June this coming month. Thanks again everyone for helping out!
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Yes, it will be great to finally clear the backlog after 5 years! Thanks Sallen112 for your enthusiasm in organising this.
Feduol
forum adept

Post by Feduol »

As our marathon in approaching, I'd like to thank Sallen for his idea and effort to writing people to this event. I do believe that together we can produce more than working independently.

My first thought about the tagging marathon was to think that to tag 10 works for day it's not so much, but is plausible that about the middle of July the tagging will be more and more difficult (since the easiest work will be tagged in the first days). As mentioned before, tagging collection can take several minutes, even hours.

It's worth to remember also that some works only can be tagged by an expert on that matter, some are incomplete and others are arrangements of unknown works (most of them are yet from WIMA collection, which editors, most of the times, made their editions not based on he originals, but on modern editions - so it's possible to look for references in WorldCat.

I think that if wee end the month with 1000 of untagged works, it will be a good achievement (of course, less than that will be great). A bit more than 1% of untagged works (we have about 94,500 works) is unthinkable for all libraries in the world.

Cheers to everyone and good work!
=)
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Thanks for your input Feduol!

Yes we are going to have to rely on external sources (Grove, Worldcat, maybe Wikipedia sometimes) for figuring out the vague works with very little info in the General Info box, which is going to make it difficult to track down all of these pieces of what they are (Genre, instrumentation, language, or possibly an arrangement or parts of a bigger piece).

Right now, thanks to efforts this months from Fynnjamin and a few others this month, we have already reduced the untagged list down to 1,750 workpages, which is great work done! We need to keep the focus up and keep at it!

Like I said above though, I still want to see pretty much everyone on here everyday this month tagging at least 10 workpages or more from everyone because then we will have the list done much more quickly, I think a whole month now will drag on for too long. This is a repetitive project (I know!) but it must be down to maintain the categorization of all of these pieces and to keep up to date daily, even beyond July it will have to maintained by a couple of Users than just Davydov and Steltz to be on, which right now they are too busy outside of IMSLP to be on all the time. I could do some, but some other will have to step up at times to contribute. I for sure can't be on everyday doing tagging as I have other things to work on.

The whole reason for compacting the tagging contributions from many users to a one month event is because if we were to do this by a select few over say an entire year, it wouldn't happen on a regular basis as some people would be on very much (or at all) to begin with to tag, as setting up an event like this is much more something to look forward to I feel, like a long month music festival of sorts. Otherwise it would feel like a total job doing this all the time, which is something I think I don't want to make people perceive it like it is. Right now I see reducing that un-tag list number as a goal entirely to reduce it to zero or as close as possible to zero. I want to see this as a fun project figuring out these works to tag!

Working together is something we should focus on, asking questions, especially to the expert taggers is going to be vital in figuring out these pretty unknown works. We may, as you said Feduol, have to leave many pages up to Davydov or Steltz to figure out because they are quite complicated. Feduol how would you propose to bring the volunteers together in figuring out these workpages?

I don't have a whole lot of experience with tagging vs. some of the other Users on here (only have done this a few months now!) but I have been getting the hang of this for some time now. There are many pages I have looked at already that I have left alone because I either don't know most of the time what the Genre is or it is a very specific genre that I am not aware of. Probably best to keep track of everyone's contributions (in the recent changes) to see if there tagging is correct for many.

I hope I am not forgetting anything let me know!
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Only two more days everyone! I will be posting a marker (for number of untagged pages) around midnight GMT time (UK time). I hope everyone will be ready to do alot of tagging it is going to be intense!
KW314

Post by KW314 »

Is it too late to sign up to volunteer? I am a LIS student interested in music librarianship and would love to work on this tagging marathon! I am available to start tagging on the 1st =)
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

KW314 wrote:Is it too late to sign up to volunteer? I am a LIS student interested in music librarianship and would love to work on this tagging marathon! I am available to start tagging on the 1st =)
Actually no its not too late to sign up! Have you read over how to do tagging in the link on the Original Post? If you are you should probably tag a couple pages as a test, the vocal and choral pieces are the most toughest were dealing with right now and the pages with WIMA arrangements are the challenging ones to tag right now. Remember the tag link to the left of the workpage title for quicker tagging or go to edit to tag. The most we need help right now with are the Medieval-Baroque era pieces (especially the renaissance pieces, which are a mess to figure out). If you can get the tagging right, you should be good to go!

Remember: Genre ; Instrumentation ; Language (required for worded vocal pieces!)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

And then of course ;^) :) in August we can have a - erm, something - in which we commit to fixing many of the mistagged workpages (especially operas, which are so often uploaded as "voices, orchestra", then tagged likewise when a download-and-read reveals many of them to have a singing chorus - the problem being, maybe sometimes, that the person uploading doesn't have the same understanding of the word "voices" as the person tagging... not the only examples though.)