Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Naxos Music Library

Post by Eric »

hrm. I see that the "missing" Soler sonatas that I thought were perhaps created out of thin air were actually hiding on the collections pages :) (so contrariwise, the recording of Ries symphony no.6, which we do not yet have a page for, does not become accessible from the CD/stream on the Ries symphony no.4 page. Still, the quite fluid interaction in this way between the individual pages and the Collections pages is Very Neat :) )
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Also, I realize I was griping (... hrm, maybe not loudly-but I do so too much anyway) that several works as shouldn't be were showing up with NML sections "unavailable in the US". At least one such - Haydn's symphony no.47 - now has several CDs available, and all it seems to have taken was uploading a partial arrangement (made during Haydn's time) of the symphony from BNF to join the EU-only critical edition that was the only representation of the work on the site. (I recently downloaded a VOX recording of it and a number of other symphonies for a dollar or two so that one was not an issue, but- still.)

(Have now added a complete set of parts also from BNF published by Sieber, part of a set- Sieber Op.25- that includes also symphonies 43 and 52. Symphony 43 still shows no NML recordings in the US but maybe that will change in a few days too if and when my upload is unblocked ;) . It's good to have Hoboken's book available to us; it contains a lot of useful information on composition and publication dates, and not just first publication dates, and not just for Haydn's best-known works.)

This is actually - I am not speaking sarcastically - a bit of a pleasant challenge and fun. That, and being tempted to prioritize uploading works because one has a better chance of hearing them after doing so (even if just arrangements or portions) ;) (because they're already on labels that are streamed) (etc.) Apologies for this odd comment...
(Edit: 43 is now showing CDs, at least for me. Well, good. A few other Haydn symphonies aren't- I'll see if I can't find material for them... also Gade symphonies 3 and 7 iirc, though arrangements are uploaded- nothing at all rather than just non-PD-US...)
Musicfest

Naxos Music Library mobile app

Post by Musicfest »

I just noticed that today (haven't used the mobile app on iPhone for some time). I was logged out of the app and after entering the usual username/password, it said the subscription had expired. I'm a standard member of IMSLP. :-(
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

_is_ there a template to get NML to notice new material? I added (PD-everywhere) full scores to Gade symphony no.3, but even though there are CDs on the symphony no.4 page (Järvi/Stockholm, BIS) and symphony no.5 page (Collegium Musicum Copenhagen, Michael Schønwandt, DaCapo) (as physical CDs; the "full CD" button @ NML doesn't pull up symphony no.3 because we don't have it :) ), there's still (about 2 weeks later) no Recordings Box on the symphony 3 page.

Does one need to add a Naxos-related template (Naxosfunc or some such template, I don't know) to pull in CD objects on pages that don't already have them? How to do so?

(not referring here to pages that _do_ have recordings but on which they're just unavailable in the US, e.g., because IMSLP+Naxos (Nisslp?) mistakenly believes the works are in copyright, like Haydn symphony no.12 (published in 1907 I think if not earlier, but we only have the 1965 edition, so I can't blame them, I guess... things might change if someone uploaded the B&H score...))
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Still not working quite as I expected it (eg Berwald piano quintet no.1 Op.5 still not showing any material even though op.6 is; they should be showing the same CD now...)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

edit :) - Berwald quintet 1 changed now.

Ok, have added (poorly, sorry) one movement from Berwald symphony 4 (1911 Benjamin edition) too. Hoping to photograph (in better quality) the whole 4-movement work in that PD edition if I can, and see if the NML section becomes US-visible (and also, it's just a good thing to have a PD-US score instead of just a PD-EU/CA-only one...)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

... on a related subject and while I'm apparently writing into thin air, it appears that Naxos has both stopped linking to any new pages (the category Pages with NML recordings is going steadily down from 22,684 to 22,683 to... 22,680 last I checked and will probably just decrease- though maybe pages on the list are getting deleted, maybe not Naxos' fault, that part) but also, has stopped linking any new CDs/whatevers (so several recordings from eg early this year - Naxos' own recording of Saint-Saëns op.43, say - are not on the relevant pages though they might be- not that NML links _every_ recording of a work that they have rights to, but still.

They still seem to have just stopped adding things altogether (not stopped changing things from PD-EU-only to PD-US, but stopped adding recordings to pages, etc.) as of last year or so, maybe even as of when they made the big changes with us. Would be interesting if anyone could confirm this - maybe it's just me.
wieczorekdavis

Post by wieczorekdavis »

Eric, as I understood it, Naxos are no longer doing anything helpful, but the IMSLP staff already had copies of many recordings, and those are the ones we have access to.

IMSLP staff, I have a couple of questions if you're still reading this :)
  1. Any update on the Android app that was promised?
  2. Is there any prospect that we may be able to gain access to recordings for which the scores cannot yet be hosted, for example, anything by Shostakovich - or is there a legal restriction preventing it? An example would be Shostakovich Piano Concerto 2, which is on a CD with Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 3 played by Bernd Glemser, but the CD button doesn't reveal the Shostakovich.
All the best :)
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

wieczorekdavis wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:38 pm Eric, as I understood it, Naxos are no longer doing anything helpful, but the IMSLP staff already had copies of many recordings, and those are the ones we have access to.

IMSLP staff, I have a couple of questions if you're still reading this :)
  1. Any update on the Android app that was promised?
  2. Is there any prospect that we may be able to gain access to recordings for which the scores cannot yet be hosted, for example, anything by Shostakovich - or is there a legal restriction preventing it? An example would be Shostakovich Piano Concerto 2, which is on a CD with Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 3 played by Bernd Glemser, but the CD button doesn't reveal the Shostakovich.
All the best :)
  1. I am sure its still being worked on at this moment, probably should be out soon.
  2. The reason we don't have the Shostakovich recordings on here is because he is still under copyright worldwide, so that is why you are not able to access the recordings through IMSLP. Through Naxos sure but not on here. Remember our site has to comply with all 3 regions copyright laws that we host files on and we can only have recordings of a composer that is in the Public domain at least in Canada (or the United States with pieces first published before 1923 (soon to be 1924)).
wieczorekdavis

Post by wieczorekdavis »

I don't think that's the explanation for the missing Naxos Shostakovich recordings (it would only apply to user uploads). The Naxos recordings we do have (e.g. the Rachmaninov) must still be under copyright for the sake of the performers and engineers involved in making the recording, even if the compositions themselves are out of copyright. On page 4 of this thread, it was stated:
Upshot is, even though the collection we now have is a subset of NML, we control the files and have the appropriate license, so we can have it up as long as we pay Naxos the licensing fee.
So that licensing fee must be how the copyright holders are remunerated. It shouldn't make a difference whether the composer is among the beneficiaries or not.

I'm hoping it's just an oversight in how it was programmed, and that someone can change the code so that those recordings appear. That's why I'm still hoping IMSLP staff might be reading ;)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Android tablet is planned to be out end of next month. There is already a beta Android tablet version (IMSLP Browser), but there are some issues with the PDF viewer.

Naxos can only license the recording copyright to third parties not the composition copyright, so Sam is correct. I'm afraid your best bet is Youtube/Spotify for now.
wieczorekdavis

Post by wieczorekdavis »

Thanks for clarifying that for me. My failure to find the app will have been because it's only for tablets, and there's still plenty of music available despite the copyright limitation - I'm sure I'll manage :)
lworthin

Post by lworthin »

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, but since conversation about the Naxos stuff seems to have gravitated here, I'll ask here.

In the last week or two, I'm not able to play anything on Infinity Radio (and all similar pages). Hitting F12 in my browser gives me:

Mixed Content: The page at 'https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:InfinityRadio' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure audio file 'http://s6.imslp.org/naxos/albums/CD94.032/148843.mp4'. This content should also be served over HTTPS.

Has something changed? This seems to be the case with any browser I try. It does not actually load the music and the music's progress is always listed as 00:00/00:00.

Thanks!
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

I now notice that for the first time in ages the number of work pages in Pages with commercial recordings has gone up overnight rather than very slowly down overtime. Don't know offhand _which_ pages have recordings that didn't yesterday (and whether or not they're PD-US-accessible - that information isn't noticed by the total number on the page) though iirc Czerny's symphony no.2 does now and didn't, for example. Also Gade's symphony no.3 Op.15 (only no.7 of his symphonies isn't on that list now...)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

And to add to that list, wholly new pages like Pizzetti's cello sonata and Tournemire's 2nd symphony symphony have recordings added. That hadn't been happening, for awhile...