Naxos Music Library

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

pbarach
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Naxos Music Library

Post by pbarach »

You mention the IMSLP apps--So far there is no app for iPhones. When will this become available?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Perhaps the $22.00/year subscription should be decreased now.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

It's still substantially less than an individual NML subscription would cost, though now reduced in scope (but I'm finding that can be overemphasized; while I miss the now-lost discs* and the now lost overall-NML-search-interface, there is, again, still a lot there (of interest to me, at least). And making commercial recordings (Naxos) a category-walkable category seems to me to have been a good idea.

*though it seems that NML has dropped some more labels including eg Chandos (!! a huge drop), Timpani, Thorofon, Marco Polo (an even less explainable drop- that's Naxos' own label) (but I assume our now-inability to find Chandos, Timpani, and MP recordings isn't just a NML/IMSLP thing but would have happened in any case, just as they dropped/lost-in-negotiations labels like Dutton, Hyperion and others earlier.) Maybe I should check @ the NaxosDirect site to see if some of these latest-dropped discs are still distributed there. (Yes, that might be best...)
Luke

Post by Luke »

Maybe IMSLP could renegociate the deal with NML. I think many people are ready to pay a fee of 80-100 USD/EUR for a subscription that includes access to the NML. But the question is: we don't know if NML is still reliable...
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Even the reduced situation as it is - and I know how much I was grumping above - is actually rather good. All 57 workpages by Ravel have Naxos recordings attached to them (atmoment Pages with Commercial Recordings, Naxos Collection currently has 22,613 workpages attached though the number will be fluid as NML drops and adds labels, as some workpages are discovered to have NML "attached" that one doesn't see until one looks at the page and then cache-clear-refreshes, etc. ... it's irregular but still, spending hours I wasn't spending as much so, (though should have done) listening to recordings brief and long. Just remember one has to go to the workpage, not look for a no-longer-there Naxos Search Feature (except for the link above which does allow for category walker searches...)
apishimon

Post by apishimon »

Hi, my subscription is valid till Dec 2020, automatically renewed. What if I cancel now my subscription? Will I be able to access this limited library till the natural expiring, i.e. Dec 2020? I would not forget to unscribe by the right time :roll: .

Thanks,
paolo
dlewis1080

Post by dlewis1080 »

imslp wrote:I think your sentiments would be more effective if you can direct them at Naxos. They are the ones who disregarded the contract and terminated NML access, and they are the ones who can restore access if they so choose.
I have no sympathy for you, sorry, Edward. Remember the time, without consulting IMSLP contributors, you introduced a pay-wall that hinders access until a financial contribution is made? During my years of contributing, this certainly wasn't in our understood 'contract'. Of course, two and a half years later, you are still avoiding any transparency on where these contributions are going.
imslp wrote:Looking back, I suppose Naxos got what they wanted. In a way they got us to pay them to advertise NML on IMSLP for two years. Maybe it was naive to think they'd undersell their own offering for too long, the contract notwithstanding.
I hope now you understand the disappointment when good faith is betrayed by greed.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Hey guys,

Just want to announce a new feature called Infinity Radio. This is a semi-random stream of Naxos recordings, but can be limited to any category and intersect - just click the radio symbol. The general station (using all Naxos recordings) is https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:InfinityRadio

The reason it is called "Radio" is because it's the same sequence of recordings for everyone on a channel ("channel" being a particular category or intersect, and since there are a lot of those, hence "Infinity"). The timing is not precise since all pieces are played from the start, but if you have a friend who wants to listen to the same channel it'll be the same piece most of the time :)

Another example: https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:InfinityRadio/Romantic

There are a couple of known bugs that will be ironed out over the next few days, but should be mostly working.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Returning from a (very happy) extended break I do notice the "CD" button that appears sometimes when one clicks especially some shorter works, giving access to (at least a reasonable part of) the longer recordings they are part of, it seems. (Enough so that one isn't, e.g., getting up and cueing one Beethoven Welsh Song, or brief piano work by - well, many a composer, on a disc of such pieces - after another when one intended to use the NML to help rest instead, e.g.)

Wish responded to right there, I thank you. !

(I should be more upset, like others in this thread, but personally- I'm still fairly easy to please, is the thing, and the not-so-new interface has been made to work very well and sounds especially well; + there's still some 20-thousand-odd pages - less, given the many with music I can't hear hear in the US, but quite a lot- but many with music for me to hear, still including many works I've wanted to hear.)
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

When we had NML I was able to listen to some CDs that are not present now on the corresponding work pages. Which rule governs the presence or absence of a CD link under the Commercial tab of a work page? Or do I have to be patient? :-)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

coulonnus wrote:When we had NML I was able to listen to some CDs that are not present now on the corresponding work pages. Which rule governs the presence or absence of a CD link under the Commercial tab of a work page? Or do I have to be patient? :-)
Well, Naxos has agreements with many recording labels, some of which allow Naxos to sub-license the recordings to third parties and some which don't. We have a license to use all recordings Naxos can sub-license, and which should appear at some point. In fact, the vast majority should already be available.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Can you give a specific example? If the CD was a Chandos, Thorofon, or MDG CD, for example, those have been dropped by NML (Chandos very recently), I believe, as have some other labels. Chandos was a very large label "drop"...!
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Manekmistry

Post by Manekmistry »

FYI, there's still a page on the website that includes this language: "Every IMSLP membership comes with full access to the Naxos Music Library, a library of more than 1.8 million tracks for instant streaming. Access through the Naxos Music Library mobile app available for iPhone/iPad and Android is also provided." It sounds like that's not completely true anymore. The page is https://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:NaxosSignup. I got there by entering "Naxos" in the search bar.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Eric wrote:Can you give a specific example?
An interesting example is https://imslp.org/wiki/3_Keyboard_Sonat ... C_Leopold) I remember having listened to Opp. 30 and 35 also performed by Kemp English but they are not on these work pages.