Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

Sallen112
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: IMSLP down?

Post by Sallen112 »

Hey Schissel, you said something about your DNS not working with the site correct? You might want to check to see about reinstalling your driver for your internet connection (it could be corrupted). I just got a new motherboard for my computer recently and was having problems using my Ethernet plugged in (I have a wireless adapter installed in my desktop so I was using that mostly). For some reason, I could access other sites fine, but I was losing my DNS connection for some reason. I could not get on IMSLP at all but other sites I could. What I had to do was I reinstalled the Ethernet driver for my computer (the driver could have been corrupted) and now my Ethernet connection works properly and I can get on the site.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

I am not sure which if any of the suggestions you mention correspond to actual, well, things on my computer system, &c (thatistosay: -does- it give me the opportunity to reboot the driver? Where is that functionality? Need to find that)... will have a look, though.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Choralia- I've been able to reach IMSLP since then, but... erm... let me have a look.
imslp: "192.95.30.16" works, which is -- interesting and narrows down the problem field.
Thanks.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

choralia:
how interesting. yes, that seems to be the problem... (well, to be properly cautious, a problem...)
should I remove those two lines from /etc/hosts , since imslp is moving anyway (once I work out how to make /etc/hosts writable again... chmod squad ahoy!...) or should I change it temporarily...?
OY!
And thankee.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Have now (with a bit of pseudo sudo and moddish chmodding) deleted the offending lines from /etc/hosts, &rebooted. Test time...

And I'm through :)
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

Eric wrote:And I'm through
Nice to hear that I identified that cause of the problem, after more than five years since the original tweak :)
Eric wrote:should I remove those two lines from /etc/hosts
Yes, of course, and you correctly did. Entries in /etc/hosts should be only present if you want that the IP address associated to a given domain name is resolved locally by your computer rather than by a DNS server. If IMSLP moves to a new server, DNS servers will be updated within few hours, so your computer will be soon direceted to the new server. You may use the /etc/hosts trick to reach the new server before DNS servers are updated, but then please don't forget to delete the lines again, otherwise you'll stick to that server for ever! :D

Max
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Is anyone having issues getting into the site normally? I can still access external sites else just fine. I know the DNS was going to be changing soon, as I am quoting Edward below. I just tried the IP address and it works:

192.95.30.16 (just paste this into the URL only, it should work for now)

Until the normal process to get on is restored, will have to use this for now.
imslp wrote:FYI, the IMSLP server IP is 192.95.30.16 - try and see if you can access that IP address directly.

By the way, the IP address is due to change in the near future, as there is a major upgrade/site redesign in the works.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Well actually with using the IP address above, I can't do any sort of editing/changes to workpages. It looks like its in a Read only state because I can navigate the site right now but can't edit at all or download any files.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

And the reason for that is ultrasimple. Try logging in. Enter name. Enter password. You're at imslp.org again and (unless you do something not fun with your /etc/hosts file so that your browser goes direct to the quartuplet) your browser hangs. and can't edit, anonybusly...
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Seems to be back up for the moment?