Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

tim.willis1685
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Advertisements

Post by tim.willis1685 »

Is IMSLP putting these ads for the university of Thessaloniki at the top of files? I don't have a problem with the ads being there to begin with, but once I've read them and decided I am not interested in their topic, I'd like to get rid of them. Is there a way to do that? They are in the way when trying to read from the screen.

Thanks.
coulonnus
active poster

Re: Advertisements

Post by coulonnus »

Do you mean at the top of the pdf's? Could you please provide an example?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Oh, there is new advertisement when I click on the down arrow of http://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata_No.1 ... _Ladislav)
It says "Hacking the musical brain, Rapsody, Pandora etc" with a charming lady and a musical staff, and the score is just below. Am I the only one? I'm with Firefox.
tim.willis1685
regular poster

Post by tim.willis1685 »

Yes, I also get that one. I am also with firefox. Maybe one in 6 downloads has an advertisement - there seemed to be more yesterday. I realised jsut now that if you scroll down using the scroll bar on the far right, you can bury it under the tabs at the top of the page, out of sight.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Now I obtain a greek stuff! Sometimes the pdf opens with Firefox's "private" pdf reader, sometimes it uses Acrobat reader in a new window and there is no ad. :-) But at least I can always download the pdf - without ads in it - if I want.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Actually, this should not happen - can you send me a screenshot? There should be no ads if you are a member, and even if you are not, what you describe is strange.
tim.willis1685
regular poster

Post by tim.willis1685 »

Here is a screenshot of Boccherini Op.1, violin 2 part. The file also displays sideways with the ad.

EDIT: and if you click on the ad, you will be taken to https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... preference
Attachments
Screen shot 2016-09-01 at 11.23.35 PM.png
Screen shot 2016-09-01 at 11.23.35 PM.png (336.45 KiB) Viewed 36301 times
David Campbell
active poster

Post by David Campbell »

I've been experiencing the same thing every so often. I'm currently using IE9, but I get the same results in Chrome. Opening the file will bring up a similar page to the above, right clicking to download a PDF will open the download dialog box, but for an html file. I am logged in and have a membership.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Ok, that is not an IMSLP ad, and the way it appears is not good at all. I will investigate, and if the Greece mirror is the issue (as I think it may be) I will disable that mirror.
FluteParfait

Post by FluteParfait »

These ads at the top of the page are awful! I can click a button to view in (I think it said) presentation mode, but this doesn't allow me to do my usual right click to choose a view/ zoom level. Since I'm already paying a subscription I feel a little miffed about being subjected to advertising.
FluteParfait

Post by FluteParfait »

Along with the adverts, many of the files won't load, with the message 'Invalid or corrupted pdf file'. This includes files that I know I've accessed in the past, so I don't think the actual pdf is at fault - more likely the fetch coding.
Last edited by FluteParfait on Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

With Internet explorer: Not only I see the Thessaloniki ad, but also IE opens its own pdf viewer à la Firefox instead of opening Acrobat Reader as usual and its window remains black. :-(
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I've disabled the Greece mirror - you shouldn't get this ad anymore. Let me know if otherwise.