Need for publicity - IMSLP in the press / on the net

Archived threads.

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

nachoba

Need for publicity - IMSLP in the press / on the net

Post by nachoba »

I'm deeply sad about this. Having contributed to the site every chance I had...be it dedicating time, be it sorting, be it scanning. And knowing that a lot others also did the same....this is a really sad day for freedom.

One thing that I think (IMHO) is that at least we should speak out. Tell digital newspapers, printed papers, universities, colleges of music what is going on. This has to be known....we have to speak out.

That's my opinion.
cheers to all IMSLP members and I send my STRONG support to Feld.
and all IMSLP administrators
cheers
nachoBA
Vivaldi
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Vivaldi »

Any ideas on which online newspapers, blogs, institutions etc. we should highlight our plight?
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

A good start would be the ones that reported it. Some references in the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... ry_Project

-Lala-
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

You mean the likes of MIT and MERLOT?
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

MAybe the opensource community by placing a news item in some Wikipedia portals and in Wikinews. Anyone know the right pages?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I actually do think publicity for it's current situation. (Not just for the future of IMSLP but for the future of PD, and the future of Big Business)

I suggest leaving this thread open.

I've always regarded big Business as the scum of the earth, but I never suspected corporations like this of being much like Monsanto, just with less blood on their hands.
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

I have just written letters to CNN and FOX news in the hope that they shall hear about this incredible site and what has happened.

I myself have taken the time between concerts and rehearsals and have contributed to this site because I saw that there are so many great pieces out there that are in the public domain that could be played. So many of these pieces have gotten lost or in the back shelves of a library somewhere. I gladly uploaded these pieces as i found them with high hopes that they will be found by others with the same interests that i have. These great pieces must not get lost. Some of these old editions will not be found any other way.

Please do the same for your TV stations, Newspapers and the like. Please also write to CNN and FOX news stations and tell them this story. It would be great if they hear from more than one person.

We must bring back this great site!!
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Although I severely doubt anything will come from it, I (personally, I am not acting on behalf of IMSLP, with regard to this topic, look to Feld) recommend doing what Generoso as proposed.
monteverdi

Post by monteverdi »

I would like to send out a press release article here in Germany (Europe) - but I'm not too sure if I have well understood everything ... and maybe it should be wisely (and juristcally undoubtable) done.
Maybe there's anyone here with the needed amount of insight to produce a text - or maybe this could even be done together: that's what the internet is good for, isn't it?
Trinitron

Post by Trinitron »

I can't believe no one has suggested Digg.com. Digg.com is MASSIVE on the internet, and has had national and international press coverage before.
If you are not familiar with the concept, it is a user driven news site. Basically users link to stories on the internet and then they're advertised on the front page, then users "Digg" the stories, basically voting them so they become more viewed. Users can also place links on the linked web pages for people to automatically "Digg" the story.

I have a Digg account and would be willing to start a story. But would need something to link to (Imspl?), the more organised and well written the better. We'd basically need a page on Imspl explaining the situation in a well written form with pictures of the letters, you know, basically a well written story.
In fact previously the most popular Digg stories have been about piracy and situations such as these. Bittorrent trackers have had huge publicity.

For the sake of helping organisation of this, I'd personally be willing to write this up and create a Digg link, but would need a full brief of the situation as my knowledge of this matter is not complete.
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

Someone has already dugg it:

http://digg.com/videos/music/Internatio ... oses_Doors

It's going to need quite a few diggs to get to the front page though.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

This message from eternalsnows is moved from another topic:
I just signed up for an account to post this message. I think UE is way off base in their cease-and-desist letter. They have every right to enforce their copyrights, but for all intents and purposes forcing the closure of this valuable site is just plain wrong.

I know there's already a Digg story submitted on this topic, but it's in the wrong category and is a bit bland in the wording. I submitted a new article with a headline and description more likely to incite the Digg masses. I encourage everyone to head over to http://digg.com/tech_news/Copyright_cra ... aring_site and get this dugg to the front page!
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

You have to create an account to "digg" the story. No matter, it's free.
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

It has been announced also here:

http://www.choralnet.org/

IMSLP is a site that has been contributed to by many people. How many man hours have been used to upload all of these scores. Check to see if the copyrights status is ok or not. Continually check to correct the wording of the newer users so that they find out how to do all the things necessary to make a site like this.