Support for Feldmahler and IMSLP

Archived threads.

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Vivaldi
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Vivaldi »

Danke, Odin. Aber werden sie Ihnen zuhoeren?

To others:
Thanks Odin. But will they listen to you?
Odin
active poster

Danke Vivaldi

Post by Odin »

Hallo

Ich denke denen wird nichts anderes übrigbleiben.

Nicht wegen mir - ich bin nur Privatmann und als solcher ein Niemand.
Ich habe den Brief an mehreren Stellen veröffentlicht, damit ihn UE
nicht totschweigen kann.

Die neue Bewegung der Piratenparteien wird man bei UE und
anderen Ernst nehmen müssen, denn diese Parteien streben nach
grundlegenden Veränderungen im Urheberrecht selbst. Und das ist
das demokratische Recht dieser Parteien - alle Parteien streben
danach die Gesetzgebung ihrer jeweiligen Länder in ihrem Sinne und
im Sinne ihres Parteiprogramms zu verändern.

Was für andere politische Parteien legitim ist, wird man den Piraten-
parteien kaum verbieten können, solange die demokratischen Regeln
eingehalten werden.

Leider bedeutet Letzteres auch die heutige (irrsinnige) Gesetzeslage
zu respektieren (widerwillig), solange sie noch besteht.

Mit freundlichem Gruss
Odin
hasekamp

Thanks a lot!

Post by hasekamp »

Thanks a lot to all those people who made IMSLP.
It is a shame that non-copyrighted music is still treated in the same way (as far as the price is concerned) by the large publishers as copyrighted music.
I sincerely hope that some organization is willing to fight (and win) the legal battle against UE and other abusers of copyright law. This is a thing the volunteers at imspl can obviously not do, and we all, including UE know that.
The least UE could have done was to specify exactly the music of what composers they wanted to be removed. That could have been done quite easily, be it reluctantly.
Nobody can answer seriously to a vague summons as that of UE.
But I know that a legal fight against a big company cannot be won by a private person. These companies have lots of money and they make the proceedings more and more expensive by using all kinds of legal tricks.
By the way, Gutenberg publishes works that are still copyrighted in the US, but not in Australia, on their Australian server, and has never been summoned for it.
Shame on UE! They will never see me as their customer. And a big THANKS to imslp!

Rene Hasekamp.
danielrk

it is hard

Post by danielrk »

I am student in Moscow conservatory, this site was for me like bread and water. Here is very hard to find this material, and imslp was the best way for me. Sincerely, I have cried because of this.
Thank you, Feldmahler.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Hi, Just a quick word of support on behalf of a sister-project, http://LibriVox.org. We've had similar legal threats, pushed back, and succeeded. Copyright lawyers tend to claim rights they do not have. This is the case here.

Anyway, good luck and if there is anything we can do, please let us know.

Best,
Hugh McGuire.
ArtfulDodger

Post by ArtfulDodger »

IMSLP has truly been like a library to me. I've been able to browse and find stuff that I've never seen before, nor likely would have ever seen, and play through it like I was discovering something new. It saddens me deeply to see this site go, like so many good efforts these days.
Kalli
forum adept

Post by Kalli »

[quote="Vivaldi"]Danke, Odin. Aber werden sie Ihnen zuhoeren?

To others:
Thanks Odin. But will they listen to you?[/quote]

Ich denke schon! Schliesslich hat die UE sich auch in die Diskussion hier im Forum eingemischt.

Wir sollten trotzdem Abstand davon nehmen, die UE irgendwo oeffentlich anzugreifen. Lieber erst mit denen diskutieren. Vielleicht sind sie ja zu Zugestaendnissen bereit!
crackincello

Post by crackincello »

I want to thank Feldmahler and the IMSLP for all of the public domain musics that were uploaded into the site. I do hope that IMSLP would be up and running healthy again soon.

I do hope some good would come out of this turn of event.
Last edited by crackincello on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Hallo Kalli
I denke auch! UE ist ein Schw*in! Aber ich verstehe nicht, was bedeuten Sie "Vielleicht sind sie ja zu Zugestaendnissen bereit!" ? Was wollen sie (UE)?
Odin
active poster

Das Vorgehen der UE

Post by Odin »

Hallo
Kalli wrote:
Vivaldi wrote:Danke, Odin. Aber werden sie Ihnen zuhoeren?

To others:
Thanks Odin. But will they listen to you?
Ich denke schon! Schliesslich hat die UE sich auch in die Diskussion hier im Forum eingemischt.

Wir sollten trotzdem Abstand davon nehmen, die UE irgendwo oeffentlich anzugreifen. Lieber erst mit denen diskutieren. Vielleicht sind sie ja zu Zugestaendnissen bereit!
Abstand nehmen - Zugeständnisse ?

Die beiden Briefe der Rechtsanwälte der UE an IMSLP waren zwar juristisch weitgehend korrekt, aber eine Kriegserklärung an Projekte wie IMSLP ganz allgemein.

Damit hat die UE "die Feindseligkeiten eröffnet". Sie verdient daher niedergerungen und zur Kapitulation gezwungen zu werden, als angemessene Strafe für dieses Vorgehen. Konzilianz und Entgegenkommen wird man dort nur als Zeichen der Schwäche auslegen - wie so oft, wenn es "hart auf hart geht".

Die UE hat die Möglichkeit die beiden Briefe zurückzuziehen und Herrn Feldmahler und seine Freunde (uns) öffentlich um Entschuldigung zu bitten und für die Zukunft Besserung zu geloben. Damit könnten dann die Feindseligkeiten beendet werden, aber nicht mit weniger. Das IMSLP-Projekt könnte dann sofort wieder ans Netz gehen.

Ich fände es gut, wenn ein institutioneller Betreiber das IMSLP-Projekt und die gesamte Verantwortung dafür übernehmen würde, ohne dass sich für die Benutzer etwas ändert. Die schwedische Piratenpartei, der ich noch nicht angehöre, mit der ich aber sympathisiere, hat sich dazu bereit erklärt und könnte als starker Gegner gegenüber UE und anderen Verlegern auftreten, wenn die "das Fell juckt" und sie meinen das Kriegsbeil ausgraben zu müssen.

Klar hat es auch Nachteile, wenn eine politische Partei das Projekt weiter betreibt, aber ich glaube nicht dass Privatpersonen wie Herr Feldmahler bei allem Respekt und aller Dankbarkeit auf die Dauer die Energie und die Nerven haben werden. Die Aggression der UE wird leider kein Einzelfall bleiben. Herr Feldmahler, in dessen Dankesschuld wir alle stehen, könnte das Projekt umgehend an die schwedische Piratenpartei zu treuen Händen übergeben. Er könnte dann sehen und miterleben, wie sein Projekt weiterlebt, ohne dass er selbst noch irgendwelche Risiken eingeht. Weder für die Nutzer noch für die Leute, die urheberrechtsfreies Material bereitstellen, würde sich etwas ändern.

Das alles habe ich in meinem schlechten Englisch auch bereits geschrieben.

Die UE und die gesamte Verlagsbranche wüsste dann sofort, dass man es mit einem Gegenüber zu tun hat, das sich nicht nur wehren kann, sondern auch das politische Ziel verfolgt die gesamte Urheberrechtsgesetzgebung zu Gunsten von nichtkommerziellen Nutzern wie uns zu reformieren.

Gruss von
Odin
Apollo

Orkut members would like to help

Post by Apollo »

There is a community in orkut on 'Classical Music', the members of which would like to assist Feldmahler's project get out of the glitch that it is in now. Please give us a layout as to how this can be done. I hear there's a site called http://www.petitiononline.com/ that can be used to this effect.
ronyu02

Post by ronyu02 »

To everyone in charge of IMSLP, thank you for the wonderful site. It helped me get music I couldn't find elsewhere. I wasn't able to contribute sheet music or anything, but I'd like to think I helped promote it to friends on blogs and other online communities. It was certainly useful, so I hope for the best for all of you, and will be glad when the site goes up again one way or another.
Jankus

Post by Jankus »

I am deeply disappointed in the financial world's reaction to IMSLP. As if music was not something that comes spontaneously from the soul of each and every one of us, but was some sort of supermarket product - up there for sale, or for prosecution for shoplifting.
IMSLP, even though I haven't been one of the contributors, due to non-musical chief occupation, has been as source of joy, both for me, and for my wife, who is a professional musician (as opposed to me, humble amateur). We have been able to read through scores while listening to music, and sift actively through scores we wouldn't have had the faith to find, thanks to Feldmahler and the Contributors. (In fact, I suppose IMSLP has contributed to our deepening our relationship :) )
As I said, I am very much disappointed. Maybe someone should reconsider their approach to sheet music?

Feldmahler & Contributors - Thanks! and may Your efforts not have been in vain!

Jan, amateur pianist, Poland
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

We still love you Feldmahler! I know I do.
gchirag
regular poster

Post by gchirag »

What Feldmahler done nobody had done before. He is a true genious for doing this kind of virtuoistic work. I know 100% composers may have sent blessings.