Support for Feldmahler and IMSLP

Archived threads.

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

jhellingman
regular poster

Post by jhellingman »

pierre.chepelov wrote: If the (original) words are still copyrighted, then the music stay copyrighted also, even if its composer died 100 year ago.
The author of the words and the composer have the same status of "co-authors", and the protection delay starts with the death of the last surviving one.
I don't think it is that simple. If the texts and the music can be considered as a single, entangled work, the composer and the song writer will have joint authorship, making the copyright in most countries based on the longest surviving person. If the text or music can be considered derivative works of the other, the copyright of the derived work in most countries will last as long as the longest surviving person, but the copyright on the original only as long as the one person who made it. If both are entirely separate works (unlikely), both copyrights are independent.
chamberpianist

Post by chamberpianist »

For music, where the original publishers do not exist anymore and there is no legal successor identifiable, the absurd situation occurs, that the music is still copyright due to the rigid rule, although nobody is interested (or entitled) to collect the fee.

I am told that French libraries will not hand out sheet music even in this case for photocopy, so the music cannot be played, recorded, republished etc. and will most probably be lost from the memory until it becomes PD.

I consider this an absurd situation stemming from an absurd copyright law !
jhellingman
regular poster

Post by jhellingman »

In Canada, they have an official office to handle such cases, but it is anything but a success...
pierre.chepelov
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Co-authors

Post by pierre.chepelov »

jhellingman wrote: I don't think it is that simple. If the texts and the music can be considered as a single, entangled work, the composer and the song writer will have joint authorship, making the copyright in most countries based on the longest surviving person. If the text or music can be considered derivative works of the other, the copyright of the derived work in most countries will last as long as the longest surviving person, but the copyright on the original only as long as the one person who made it.
Of course, you're right. But the issue seems to be the same if both authors created the work together, or if the composer did derivate his work from an already publicated text (and he made that with authorization, or the text he choose was PD at his time).
The derivative work is protected if the original one is, but may stay protected even is the original one fall in the PD.
The problem is the same for arranged or orchestrated works.
jhellingman wrote:If both are entirely separate works (unlikely), both copyrights are independent.
This is both completely true and definitely not false. :lol:
--
If only composers did like Wagner did: both text and music! This would have been easier for us.
nathrezim

Post by nathrezim »

IMSLP is really a GREAT website.
In my country , Indonesia , to find a score book that i really want to find is really - really hard. So when i found there is an website that contains a lot of score like IMSLP , I felt happy and added it to my bookmarks list as soon as i could.To knowing that some greedy people stopped IMSLP for help people like me and the others , that's quite embarasing.

Feldmahler has done something great with this website , thus my friend and I want to say a lot of thank you for Feldmahler for all of his hardwork , managing a big website.

Thank you so much , and again thank you.
X)
Setzer Gabbiani

Post by Setzer Gabbiani »

I support 100% this project, and hope that the problem will be settled soon, and the wiki opened !

hum well, that's all I can do from Sweden :roll:

cheers,
Matthieu

PS : Tidak nathrezim ! Chocobo ini tak ayam, tetapi, macam ayam...
lynxoid

Post by lynxoid »

I just wish that UE will be understanding and will cooperate. This was such a helpful site!
No, this IS such a helpful site - I do not want to believe that great things like IMSLP can be just closed without any consequences for UE. After all, they are violating our right for education!
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

They are being quite the opposite of understanding. They are lying, and attacking (libelously) IMSLP. They are manipulating their readers in a far more obvious way than they accused IMSLP of, which of course is just another one of their increasingly large stockpile of lies.

See:

http://www.uemusic.at/truman/en_templat ... f_id=14921

(The German title says: »The Rise and Fall of IMSLP«)
brady

Post by brady »

This site was great. I'm very sad that this has happened. IMSLP was a fantastic resource and I hope this problem will be resolved soon.
Sanfior
regular poster

Post by Sanfior »

I am a university teacher and used to search all scores I need in IMSLP catalogue. All my students find here scores which they needed. And I want tell my thanks to Feldmahler and all Moderators. You are doing great job!

It is really difficult time for us after IMSLP has closed.

And all we are looking forward to see this project rise from the ashes!
Good luck to creators of IMSLP and many many THANKS!
Sincerely,
Sanfior.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Thankyou for your support. :)
johnwesleybarker

Post by johnwesleybarker »

The availability of scores to read through, to glance at, to simply wander through was an essential part of my musical education. I was able to do this in libraries and music shops. But these are nothing like they used to be. Our music shops are now dominated by the choice of a small handful of publishers and the music required to play a practical music exam and hardly anything else. Music libraries have closed, long before the internet could be blamed. The IMSLP is a saviour for music, musicians and anybody interested in written music. It can only serve to enhance the possibility of sales for music publishers and they should be cueing up to allow their music to be viewed in this way. Because that is all that IMSLP is, is a shop window, a library book shelf and not a substitute for the scores themselves which will always be bought. More sheet music will be bought when people know that music is available to be bought, but we need to see it for ourselves. IMSLP may provide the opportunity for music publishers to see themselves through this new dawn of distribution. They need vision, if they opened their eyes, they could see it here.

I wish IMSLP the very best for the future. Hang on in there! The world needs you.

Thanks.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

And the unnoticable profit that Publishers make from people buying the score to study, can/should easily be substituted for music education.
Very few people, buy scores to study, so they don't make much, if any profit from it.

And further to my point, having more people engadged in studying music (as opposed to a shop window as you have suggested) the more peopl would be willing to buy/perform the pieces.

Both ways you look at it, from a study or comercial point of view, Publishers come out beter from IMSLP.
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Unstickied...