Do we live in a world without copyright law?

Archived threads.

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by daphnis »

The Bizet and Haydn symphony scores are presently not on IMSLP.

http://www.estandmusic.com/
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

Another thought - most of the works on IMSLP are scans. Does anyone know of an "electronic music stand" - a MUSICKINDLE (tm) - you saw it here first - to replace the paper we use? Hmmm... maybe with automatic repeat recognition... or with automatic advancing pages as you play ... just a dream?
Actually there are some solutions for computerized music stands already in use. Here is one..

http://www.musicreader.net/?gclid=CKGvt ... ugodczK0CQ
There is a Youtube demo here:
http://www.youtube.com/v/4_wljkm7ZHM

---------

Here is another one:
The Computerized music notebook (Mac and PC compatible)

http://www.freehandsystems.com/news/bendavis.html[/url]
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Also, aldona - what's that flute piece you were looking for?
The piece I wanted was the "Fantasy on a Theme by Schubert", Op.21, by Theobald Boehm (1794-1881). If anyone can find an edition by a different publisher, or a PD score somewhere (even a manuscript), please let me know.

(Boehm was the "father" of the modern-day keyed flute and wrote a lot of wonderful things for the flute, as well as being the inventor of the alto flute - an act alone for which he deserves eternal gratitude and immortality.)

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Aldona, check out the G. Billaudot ed. of this piece (plate 13752.R.) originally from 1920. Let me know if you can't track it down and I'll haul in a copy for you.
homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Op.21

Post by homerdundas »

Hi Aldona,
I have this work - albeit fragile and yellowed (hey - that must mean it's PD :wink: )
'Editions Costallat - Paris'

It's also known as "Le Désir - Valse de Schubert, Variations". It has the plate# mentioned by daphnis.

It is oversize and will be a bit finicky to scan. If you can't find another source I will be happy to scan it, email it to you and post later on the IMSLP. Do you want flute part first - or the score?

homer.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

That's awesome.. from nothing to 2 potential editions at once... :D :shock: 8)

I won't have a chance to check properly until late tonight (our time) because there is this boring thing called work that I have to head off to, but I'll get back to you folks as soon as I can!

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Trying to find out more info about the Boehm scores...

Do they have a copyright notice or a date of publication somewhere? Who is the editor, and can you Google them and see if they are still around or still under copyright?

I'm seeing what looks like a new release of the Billaudot version under the recent "French Flutists Propose" series. (ed. by Robert Hériché).
http://www.di-arezzo.co.uk/detail_notic ... d3ec4a1bb5

Better check that it hasn't been renewed, and whether the editor is still under copyright. I tried to google Robert Hériché and got very little, but then, I do not speak French.

Costallat became part of Billaudot after 1950, so perhaps the two editions are the same.

PM me if you like, so that this thread can get back on track. :wink:

I would love to see more music on the new IMSLP by flute people, such as Quantz, Devienne, Blavet, King Friedrich II the Great, Boehm, Doppler, etc. etc.

aldona
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

um... maybe a different thread could be used for this discussion? :P
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Don't worry, further discussions will be held by PM...

Consider it as an introductory tutorial for our new contributors/potential copyright reviewers on how to check a work prior to upload. :wink:

aldona
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Hehe okay .:)
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Unstickied...
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Should I create and archive forum (unpostable) and put all the important 'closure' threads in there? I think it might be helpful.
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

If you like... I'm just trying to clean up the announcements/stickies so I don't have to scroll so far to see new posts... :-)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Yep I agree, okay I'll do it tonight.