Status update of UE negotiations

Archived threads.

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

imslp
Site Admin

Status update of UE negotiations

Post by imslp »

I just wanted to tell people the current status of UE negotiations.

Essentially, UE has officially dropped all communication with IMSLP, citing that their C&D has been "overcomplied" with. In particular, they have refused to provide the following information:
  1. A list of works on IMSLP infringing UE copyright and the jurisdiction under which they infringe copyright.
  2. A response to my proposal for a resolution that would be beneficial to IMSLP and UE. I will post my proposal shortly, but no, it does not involve the removal of any files public domain in Canada.
With regards to #1 above, I greatly doubt they will be able to provide such a list in any case. They have shown no care in their research, listing even empty pages (Mahler Piano Quintet) in their first C&D.

I am currently in the process of negotiations in the interest of continuing IMSLP.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

That is so slack and unprofessional.

I emailed them to about a week ago asking what position or anything about Mr. Irons and nothing.

It's as if they were half serious and where just having fun. HOPEFULLY that is as far from the truth as possible... but jeez

EDIT: 300th post, hasn't even been a year yet.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Hmm, I sort out half expected this. Seems that UE are not serious at all in their claims, and without doing their homework, it seems that their ploy has somehow backfired and they are retreating. But I seriously doubt we have heard the last of them though.
neilthecellist
regular poster

Post by neilthecellist »

I expected something along these lines as well. Someone within UE probably sent the cease-and-desist, and with IMSLP going down they probably stopped looking.

Then again, I'm not the administrator here, it's all just speculation. :-\
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

and with IMSLP going down they probably stopped looking.
They are still watching the forums.
carlos.astro

Re: Status update of UE negotiations

Post by carlos.astro »

I am an amateur pianist. And I want to say I really apreciate what you have done until now, and I am expecting ISMLP continues. I live in Serena, 400 Km North from Santiago de Chile, and here is very difficult, if not impossible, to find sheet music for study and play. When I found ISMLP it was like a miracle. To have access to such huge quantity of classical works. I felt like dreaming. But 2 weeks later, ISMLP was offline, for the just known reasons. I was very sad, but understood your position. Now, after your words, I have the greatest hopes ISMLP continues. I will put attention to news about ISMLP, and I want help if I can in some way.
Is difficult to me express my gratitude to you by your fantastic idea of create ISMLP. Just many thanks.
carlos
smallporgies

Post by smallporgies »

Hear hear!
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

ArcticWind7 wrote:
Oh they definitely are. In fact, I got an e-mail from one of their publicity people saying that what I said was "misleading" and that they merely redirected all communication to my retainer. Apparently the guy did not know that UE's retainer has officially sent an e-mail breaking all contact with both my retainer and myself (on the request of UE of course). I suppose they have communication problems within their organization, but I'm digressing.
neilthecellist
regular poster

Post by neilthecellist »

imslp wrote:
ArcticWind7 wrote:
Oh they definitely are. In fact, I got an e-mail from one of their publicity people saying that what I said was "misleading" and that they merely redirected all communication to my retainer. Apparently the guy did not know that UE's retainer has officially sent an e-mail breaking all contact with both my retainer and myself (on the request of UE of course). I suppose they have communication problems within their organization, but I'm digressing.
What does this mean for the fate of IMSLP in the near future?
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Seems like UE can't even put its house in order... Retribution I guess.
bps

C&D letters

Post by bps »

The company I worked for had a similar experience from a major media house. A terrifying C&D letter was sent to us. We tried to reply and arrive at an honest solution, but they would never answer us. The solution: we ignored it and continued on and nothing came of it. I have been since told that these letters are often sent out by overzealous attorneys that simply crank them out without intending to enforce them, or initiated by outside "bounty hunter" attorneys or individuals who have an axe to grind.
baphomet

Post by baphomet »

From the very first moment I believed that this "legal action" threat was absurd and ridiculous.

Take a look here:http://thepiratebay.org/legal.I normally have to sue UE for damaging my mental health.
Lark

=(

Post by Lark »

I just don't understand. Here we have a fine website which distributes scores of intellectual music to people who appreciate it in a simple convenient direct fashion. On IMSLP anyone can look up composers and simply download their works and play them for the sake of enjoyment. IMSLP was truly a website that could educate people about music and make them enjoy these beautiful compositions.

Now these evil corporations are trying to take away from us. What the hell do they want? Before I could just visit IMSLP and download works by Beethoven and explore through his catalogue of compositions with out having to go to a store that doesn't even have half of what IMSLP had. Now these goddam corporations took it away, just because they want money. Music is art, it isn't about money, its just ironic they put these evil selfish money-eating companies in charge of the beautiful works of Beethoven. They do not own Beethoven. When an artist creates art, it belongs to everyone, and at least people should have a chance to see an artist's compositions.
madtom1999

but thats what they live on

Post by madtom1999 »

They dont own any of this music. However if you continue to provide un-owned music for free then they will have difficulty making a living providing absolutely no service to the public at all. If you remove (any) infringing items they wont be able to threaten you so you have to take the whole site down. Which is why they wont tell you what the infringment are - they hope you will curl up and die under legal threats.
This method has been repeated almost ad-nausem across the 'free' movements.
SCO have just gone bankrupt on behalf of microsoft in an attempt to stop Linux.
We are at a turning point in history. Theres a lot of big business' going to go down the tube - and they are going to cause a lot of damage on the way out.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I have received the official hard copy of the communication severing letter.