Status update of UE negotiations

Archived threads.

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

SeuLunga

Post by SeuLunga »

imslp wrote:Did he give this lecture before or after IMSLP's takedown? Just curious :)
It was given in 1970ies :D
Yagan Kiely wrote:
And may I tell you that in the ABC in Australia, that is the official broadcasting network, they still use these horrible travesties of what they should use, except for fools like me, who get their own material and play the proper thing.
Sorry, but what does this mean? (I think I need relative information).
He's talking about the revised edition of the 8th symphony, explaining why the original never caught on, even though that was Bruckner's intention when he left all the originals of his symphonies with the Austrian National Library.
Last edited by SeuLunga on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Listening...
However... (Sometimes I agree with Pirate Bay... so much effort involved in Copyright), is the link legal?
SeuLunga

Post by SeuLunga »

Yagan Kiely wrote:Listening...
However... (Sometimes I agree with Pirate Bay... so much effort involved in Copyright), is the link legal?
I think so, it comes from a rare and out-of-print LP, from a small label which I don't think exists anymore. Also, I trust abruckner.com wouldn't offer something illegal.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

What I meant, is puting the lecture on mediafile legal?
SeuLunga

Post by SeuLunga »

Yagan Kiely wrote:What I meant, is puting the lecture on mediafile legal?
as legal as anyother place to upload it...
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

The reason why I am cautious, is because that lecture was 1970? It is still copyrighted. Putting it up on that website (the Bruckner one) means that they had explicit permission to do so. Uploading it somewhere else can infringe that copyright.
SeuLunga

Post by SeuLunga »

Yagan Kiely wrote:The reason why I am cautious, is because that lecture was 1970? It is still copyrighted. Putting it up on that website (the Bruckner one) means that they had explicit permission to do so. Uploading it somewhere else can infringe that copyright.
Well, since I can't find an answer to that that would ease your concerns, nor do I think you aren't right in having them, I'm editing that link out. The transcript should do...

Talking about the transcript, the way Tintner talks about the UE, and I didn't change a word of that passage, seems to hold true to this day. Sad.
benmok.rm

Post by benmok.rm »

Surely if you put them on file sharing websites they won't be able to touch you?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Yes they can, it doesn't matter where you put it, it's still illegal (possibly) and they can charge you for it - people get charged by the RIAA et al for putting on file sharing all that time.

We do not want to breach copyright at IMSLP.

And as much as I think 75 years is excessive (I support 50 more), (I don't agree with copyright after death at all), I don't want to be breaking it either.
PJF

Post by PJF »

Just a thought...half the time I download a PDF score, I end up buying the hard-copy. Since IMSLP is down, I can't preview a score online to decide whether or not to bey the paper and ink score, so UE has ended up losing my business. Ironic!

Pete
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

We know, IMSLP was an advert. It would actually benefit the composers UE represents and UE by puting the copyrighted works on IMSLP.