Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

allegroamabile
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Free Scanner Software

Post by allegroamabile »

This has probably been discussed here before, but I need to know quickly what software is out there for free and is without logos.

Thanks
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Free Scanner Software

Post by daphnis »

You'll have to clarify what you mean. Are you asking for free hardware scanner software whose sole function it is to manage scanners?
carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

For *nix : sane or xsane or gscan2pdf
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

I'm asking for the software, not hardware, that allows you to scan sheet music and convert it into a pdf file.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

No one thinks you were asking about hardware. Re-read my reply. Normally this isn't a one-stop-shop from scanner to PDF, or if it is the results are almost always crap. If you are using Mac/Windows, you're almost always limited to using the scanner software that came with your brand of scanner since it has to match up with the device drivers.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Well, if you mean convert images to PDF, then I usually print to PDF and then use PDFSAM.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
noqu
forum adept

Post by noqu »

Guess this needs a little clarification. On Windows, you normally need three different pieces of software to get the task done. You would normally start an image processing program, ask it to scan an image, modify it and then "print" it using a PDF converter.

(1) image processing program
This is the software that actually displays the image and allows you to modify it (e.g. crop it, sharpen it, change its contrast etc). There are lots of good programs out there. I use IrfanView, which is free and can do everything I need.

(2) scanner driver (aka TWAIN driver)
This is the piece of software that talks to the scanner, controls it and reads a stream of bits describing the image. It must match your scanner hardware and usually comes on a CD with the scanner (as daphnis pointed out).

(3) PDF converter
This piece of software is responsible for converting the image to a PDF file. Normally, PDF converters are installed and operated like printers. You print from whatever program you want and the result comes out as a PDF file (instead of being sent to a real printer). I use PDF-Exchange Pro, which is not free, but I believe there are other free alternatives. I vaguely remember a discussion about that on a different thread.
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Thanks noqu, you saved my day.
Adain21

Post by Adain21 »

Thanks for taking the time to help, I really apprciate it.
bartmeijer
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by bartmeijer »

Another option would be to use OpenOffice.org. Start the word processor (called writer), adapt page margins, and
insert > image > scan > request image (the actual words may be different, I use a Dutch version of OpenOffice.org).
In the scanner window select 1-bit image format. In this way you can make a document consisting of one B&W image per page. OpenOffice has an inbuilt pdf generator; select lossless image compression. This will allow you to make pdf files using free software -- apart from the scanning software, which for most OSs comes with the scanner.
Good luck,
Bart