Solo parts, before or after score...

Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

Melodia
active poster

Solo parts, before or after score...

Post by Melodia »

I've been DLing a lot of stuff from a few composers lately, and with my own cataloging system, seeing what I can and can't get....but anyway, one thing I've noticed is that many of the scores have the solo parts FIRST (today I'm on Saint-Saens and I think all but 1 through the D's have been), but others have them at the end.
(What I mean by this, is that for instance, a piece for violin and piano will have the solo violin part included, sometimes before the piano part, sometimes after).

Is there any reason it's done in which order? It seems to me that parts should go after (in printed scores, they are usually in the back!), but it's not a huge task to switch them around (which I've been doing, with a freeware program called PDFTools). Just curious what other people's thoughts on the matter is, and maybe a good reason why people do it one way or the other.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Solo parts, before or after score...

Post by daphnis »

I don't really think it matters one way or another, and I certainly wouldn't waste time going through files to standardize the placement of parts vs. score. As long as all pages are there and accounted for,that's what is important. Now, if you/someone wants to go through and ensure those PDFs with score and parts combined into one have bookmarks set (and named properly), that would be helpful.
Melodia
active poster

Re: Solo parts, before or after score...

Post by Melodia »

Well I do it for myself, because that's the way I am. Obviously I'm not going to affect anything in the database....