Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

goombaruskirusky
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

size of scores

Post by goombaruskirusky »

Now, I'm sure people have brought this issue up in the past, but is there a reason why many of the scores are extremely large (when it comes to the actual notes), as if the score is being looked at through a magnifying glass. Is there any way to see these scores in a normal size?
Thank ya.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by daphnis »

Many times this happens when people scan something, then edit it in microsoft paint, which when saved after editing in paint it ignores the original sampling resolution. This results in images that look huge at, say, %30-40 zoom in a PDF. If you want to make sure these print out on a page properly, just use Acrobat Reader and under 'Page Handling' select 'Fit to printer margins' under the 'Page Scaling' option.
naja

Post by naja »

Hmm,

All good for printing and viewing, but how do you create a pdf file where you have control over the resolution. If i create a pdf from an image i did in photoshop, even though the size in photoshop is A4 and therefor correct dpi, it still ends up very big in pdf...
naja

Post by naja »

I kind of found the reason for this. If you create a pdf file from an image format that doesn't store resolution information, like png, then it will be at 72dpi me reckons. If you use something like tiff however, you get the pages at the right size,...

greets
naja
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Yes, unless you use something like MSPaint to edit the TIFFs in which case it will resample them, creating the huge look you sometimes see. The lesson being to NOT ever use MSPaint to edit your images!
emeraldimp
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by emeraldimp »

Indeed! If you need a good graphics manipulation program, try out the Gimp ( http://gimp.org/ ). It's completely free, and definitely has the tools you'd need for resizing scanned images properly.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Seconded. Gimp is basically the free-ware version of Adobe Photoshop and I could almost guarantee any manipulation of scanned images could be done entirely by Gimp. It's a great program. Avoid MSPaint at all costs.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Gimp sounds very similar to a program in the Mac world called Graphic Converter (basically a shareware version of Photoshop - with some features not available in Photoshop like incremental rotation of bitmap images).

Anyone here familiar with a process of scanning microfilm images to tiff and (ultimately) PDF? I have several rolls of film here that I'd eventually like to make available at IMSLP.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

I'm only familiar with the process insofar as my last university's access services were concerned. There, you could request a university-owned microfilm roll be transfered to digital medium using their equipment, but as far as doing it one's self, no, I've not seen it done.