File Size Balooning

Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

arutgers03
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

File Size Balooning

Post by arutgers03 »

I noticed that the original vocal score for the opera "Der Wildschütz" http://imslp.org/wiki/Der_Wildschütz_(Lortzing,_Albert)
had problems with the last three pages, so I decided to try to fix the problem with my score.

I downloaded the existing PDF, scanned the last three pages of my score, replaced the last three pages in Preview (on my Mac), saved and uploaded.

I was shocked to see the file size triple. Any suggestions for getting the file size back toward its original? Thanks!
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: File Size Balooning

Post by daphnis »

Because Preview is a piece of crap software and doesn't respect (nor is capable) the origin PDF specs and compression levels. You'll want to re-compress with Acrobat Pro if you own it, or some 3rd party program.
arutgers03

Post by arutgers03 »

Thanks, I'll try to re-compress with Acrobat.

(aside)
As for Preview, I guess that comes with the territory of using closed standards like PDF. Incredibly, otherwise it works well with PDFs. It would be unreasonable to think it should work with PDFs on the same level as a product created by Adobe.

No one thinks twice about sharing documents in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint format either, but those are closed as well. Too bad there's not an open standard format like PDF.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

As for Preview, I guess that comes with the territory of using closed standards like PDF. Incredibly, otherwise it works well with PDFs. It would be unreasonable to think it should work with PDFs on the same level as a product created by Adobe.
Actually, the PDF standard IS now an ISO standard. The fact that Preview isn't fully capable of working well with PDFs notwithstanding, there are several open (and closed) programs that do. If you are to be doing extensive work on IMSLP and/or with PDFs in general, the purchase of Acrobat Professional is highly recommended.