Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

haydenmuhl
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Alphabetical listing and articles

Post by haydenmuhl »

I've noticed on the Category page for Reynaldo Hahn (http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Hahn,_Reynaldo), the alphabetic listing is inconsistent. Some pieces take the article into account (L’obscurité), and others do not (L'île du rêve). I understand the convention is to ignore small words like articles (The, Der, Le), but I'm wondering why some of these pages are listed one way, and the others are not. Is there a way to fix this?

If there is, let me know. I'll be uploading a lot of Hahn songs in the coming weeks. Since I'll be in and out of the Hahn pages, I'll be able to make some of these edits. I'd also like to make sure my uploads get categorized appropriately.
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Alphabetical listing and articles

Post by pml »

Some definite and indefinite articles for certain languages aren’t included in the exclusion list for sorting rules. This is a known issue. You can add a custom category sorting rule for the composer by adding the following to a work page:

[[Category:Hahn, Reynaldo|use this text to determine the sorting]]

Cheers PML
--
PML (talk)
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

But what's strange about this is that the two works I cited both have the same article (L'). As far as I can tell, neither has a custom sort string.

Edit: It looks like those pages use a different character for the apostrophe, which may be throwing off whatever rules have been set up. I'll play around with moving those pages that should be automatically categorized properly, but will add the custom string to the other pages.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Yes. A lot of people simply use the plain apostrophe, but as it is implemented in most fonts as a short vertical dash, this does not have the correct appearance typographically; the correct glyph as far as typography goes is the right single quotation mark found in the Unicode definition at U+2019. It’s a vexing problem. PML
--
PML (talk)
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

Hm... I tried to fix L'obscurité. My guess about the apostrophe was correct, but now it appears twice on the composer category page. I changed the faulty page to a redirect to the correctly titled page. Is there a way to remove the redirect page from the composer category, or does this take special admin mojo?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Just a note that not sorting certain articles is a type of systematic problem that is probably better dealt with using a code change to fix the problem, rather than using manual category sort rules. (I know that this is no longer the problem in this thread.)

That said, it may actually be worthwhile at this point to have a short debate on what articles should be sorted, keeping in mind that the software cannot tell which language the title is in. The list we have currently is just my own (somewhat arbitrary I guess) list.
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

Any word on how to fix this? Or if it should be fixed?

How is it determined which pages go in a composer category? I don't see an explicit category tag, so I'm guessing there's some magic happening behind the scenes that I'm not aware of. Is it based on work page title? Would it require a code change to remove the L'obscurite redirect from being listed under L?
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

I figured it out.

I had put in the redirect directive at the top of the page, but had not deleted the contents of the page. So, even though the redirect was happening correctly, it doesn't completely negate the contents of the page. Now that I've figured this out, I will be making more of these edits.