uploading help please

Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

chsmall
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

uploading help please

Post by chsmall »

Hello, I am newly registered, and have successfully begun an uploading project here:
http://imslp.org/wiki/String_Quartet_in ... ,_Niels%29

The 4 parts I need to upload are PDFs of 6.1, 7.3, 7.2 and 7 MB.
I have tried to upload one at a time, from here:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:AddFiles/ ... ,_Niels%29

I choose the appropriate file, fill in the required fields, do the arithmetic problem ;-)
and hit Submit. My browser (Safari 5.0.5) spins its wheels endlessly, and nothing gets uploaded.

What am I doing wrong? :roll:
Thanks in advance for help,
Ch.S.
pjones235
active poster

Re: uploading help please

Post by pjones235 »

I can't tell you exactly what you're doing wrong, but i can tell you that I tried to upload songs through Safari as well and had problems. But I switched to Chrome and it uploaded fine. It might not be because of the browser you're using, but I think its worth a try.

- Philip Jones
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

I am using Safari too.
This may have something to do with the size of your upload and your internet connection speed. Uploads are much slower than downloads. Even with a DSL connection, I sometimes have to wait for 5-10min. for an upload of 25mb and I could not upload 100mb, when I tried it a while back, in almost an hour. You may try to upload the individual files separately, they can then be combined in the edit window or one of the admins can do it for you.
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

Hello friends:

A browser swap might help. In the university where I work I couldn't get onto the new site for uploading grades, even though with my internet explorer I could zoom around the world. After three data center guys had fiddled with it for an hour, they simply installed firefox without a word of apology. So sometimes a "dirty" solution is worth a try. As they say, if at first you don't succeed, give up.

Good luck
WB
chsmall

Post by chsmall »

Many thanks for all helpful replies.
I should have thought of trying a different browser!
Have successfully uploaded all this morning, with Firefox.
Thanks again,
Ch.S.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Hi Ch. Small,

I fixed your links to the main site (which were b0rked — for some reason, the forum software hates closing brackets in urls) but discovered another problem, the target page has been deleted. I see from the reason given for the deletion that the edition of the string quartet you uploaded is actually too recent, dated 1998, and not obviously a reprint of an earlier publication. Anything published in the last 30 years in Europe — even if it involves no ‘editorial’ intervention whatever — is usually protected and cannot be uploaded without permission from the copyright holders. (Sometimes that 30 year figure is less — 25 years in Germany, 20 years in Italy. No matter — 1998 is still too recent.)

Of course, if an editor of the score has also added creative work of his or her own, then longer protections under the law may be appropriate.

Perhaps read the “Public domain” article on the main website and pop back here with any questions.

Regards, PML
--
PML (talk)