Submitting a revised score

Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

MICHAEL_LOVERIDGE
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Submitting a revised score

Post by MICHAEL_LOVERIDGE »

If I upload a revised version of a score I previously submitted (keeping the name of the score the same) does the "download count" (i.e., the number of times the score has been downloaded) change to "0"?
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Submitting a revised score

Post by Carolus »

As long as you replace the existing file, the download count should remain.
dominicus

Post by dominicus »

I need to submit a revised score, but I I'm a bit confused of following the right process to accomplish this.

The score I need updating is this one:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ReverseLookup/65172

When I click on the file ID#, I land on this site:
http://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP132663-A ... n_Wolt.pdf

If I follow the link to "Upload a new version of this file", I'm warned:
"Please do NOT use this form to upload music scores!
To submit a score, please use the link "Add a file to this page" on the appropriate work page. For further details, please see the Score submission guide."

Reviewing the Score Submission Guide ( http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Score_submission_guide ), a section explains how to Replace a File "if you have....made improvements to an existing one", which is exactly my case. The process explained again directs me to use the "Upload a new version of this file" link.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this.
Is the exclamatory warning to ""Please do NOT use this form to upload music scores!" intended to stop contributors from using the form to submit [NEW] scores? Yet OK to use this form to submit updated/improved versions of existing scores?

If it's OK to use this form to submit improved versions of a score's PDF, how does the associated thumbnail image get re-generated/updated to reflect the updated file? Is this something I should submit?

Thanks in advance for the help....I hope getting clarity on this avoids me creating more work for IMSLP support.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Sorry that no one has responded. Yes, you are overthinking it. The warning is there because the process to upload a new version of a score uses the same upload function as the "Upload file" link in the Toolbox in the menu along the left side of the site. Over the years plenty of users have tried to use that link to upload scores but that process won't link the file to any work page. Because of that issue the warning is there. So, you are absolutely correct to use the "Upload a new version of this file" link to upload a revised version of an already-existing score.