Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

cleaning scores that have lots of small stains

Post by coulonnus »

I have designed an application that deletes stains smaller than a few pixels in a monochrome image.

I assume re-sampling, margin trimming, deskewing and finding the right threshold for monochrome conversion have already been well done if necessary. These are not in my topic. Scans may be from a library or yours.

The best stain size must be found experimentally, to avoid losing augmentation or i-letter dots etc. Of course stains larger than this size have to be deleted by hand. Some details may be lost, e.g. portions of stem/staff lines or vertical lines of sharp signs that have been printed too light or endings of slur/ties.

An example is http://imslp.org/wiki/3_Piano_Sonatas,_ ... ti,_Muzio) Is there any interest for my application? Or are there already such applications?

Prerequisites: 1: imagemagick
2: irfanview or equivalent, unless you don't want to delete larger stains.
3: your usual procedure to convert a set of images into a single pdf.
tim.willis1685
regular poster

Re: cleaning scores that have lots of small stains

Post by tim.willis1685 »

I am no expert when it comes to this sort of thing, so I'm not sure if such a tool already exists, but I'd be interested to try it. The Clementi looks wonderful!
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

I have put the source on my user page: http://imslp.org/wiki/User:Coulonnus Are you able to compile it? Otherwise I'll have to request the permission to post an executable on imslp.

Are you about to try it on a score you found in an online library? Then I'd like to research it too.
tim.willis1685
regular poster

Post by tim.willis1685 »

Hi Coulonnus, thank you for your reply.

I will have a play with it and post my results here if I make success. I am mostly interested in manuscripts, which at first appear to be messy, but with a little manipulation with basic tools (I use "preview" on a mac) can be quite ligible and one can play from these quite easily. One thing I haven't been able to do is to get rid of the little black spots (without spending hours), so I think your programme will help. I just hope I have the technical skills to use it - I can't promise much.