Moderator: kcleung

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Title page for reprint of Tchaikovsky's "Vakula the Smith"

Post by Lyle Neff »

Hello,

I noticed that this work by Tchaikovsky has not yet been uploaded to IMSLP (information quoted from http://imslp.org/wiki/Complete_Collecte ... ky,_Pyotr)):
Vol. 35. Edited by V. Vasilyev (1956). xviii, 423 pages. Plate M. 25858 Г.
Vakula the Smith, Op.14 : Vocal score, arranged by Tchaikovsky. Also includes orchestral extracts not re-used in Cherevichki.
Reprint - Kalmus edition 6751.
I started scanning an exemplar of this reprint today.

I assume that I should omit the scans of the front cover and title page designed by Kalmus. If that is the case, should I substitute a new title page adapting the information quoted above (without the third line)? Although I don't have access to the actual Soviet print, I can add Russian to the title page for the title, composer, etc.

Thanks in advance for advice.

By the way, besides uploading the piano-vocal score and orchestral extracts from the above edition, I plan to upload Polonsky's libretto as printed in a late 19th-century collection of his poetical works.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Title page for reprint of Tchaikovsky's "Vakula the Smith"

Post by Davydov »

Thanks Lyle, this would be a very welcome addition to IMSLP. In answer to your question, I'm not sure but it might be safest just to omit Kalmus's cover and title page, and include the publication details in the description of the file, noting that this is a Kalmus reprint. The Cyrillic title could appear as an alternative title in the general information section of the page.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

I'll omit the Kalmus cover and title pages, but I think I should add a title page of some sort, just so that people have the title and composer actually showing on the first page of the first PDF. They can omit that page with PDF-editing software after they download, if they wish.

By the way, this afternoon I found a monochrome image of the color cover of the original edition of 1876 of the piano-vocal score. It includes French and German titles labeling it as a comic opera (unlike the Russian, which adds the subtitle "Christmas Eve"): Image
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

I just now uploaded the entire piano-vocal score to IMSLP, without a title page. Here is the URL: http://imslp.org/wiki/Vakula_the_Smith_ ... ky,_Pyotr)

I will scan the supplement tomorrow or next week.
Last edited by Lyle Neff on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

FYI, the appendices have been uploaded, along with Polonsky's libretto.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

That's excellent, thank you Lyle.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

About the Kalmus cover page they add. All that they do is rip off the original publication stamps and cover pages from the originals and replace it with their own title pages and the kalmus stamp at the bottom of the first page, which is why they are a big reprinting company of other published works that are public domain now in the USA.

The only real thing to omit actually from their title pages is the diamond logo with the musical note in it, this is a trademark that is still in use is why. But yes it would be best to omit it anyway.