Scanning Scores with a Mac

Advice and Help

Moderator: kcleung

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

Correction: I won't be able to use Gimp, or something like it, until my desktop computer at home is upgraded. Seems Gimp needs a lot more memory and/or processor speed than my 6-year-old PC can handle.

So, unfortunately, my active contributions will be of less-than-desirable image quality for the foreseeable future. :cry:

But I'll try to make sure to archive all of my "raw" scans for later. :D
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Can't you bypass compression in the imaging program by using a pdf tool that does the compression? (in windows) I always let acrobat do the CCITT.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Peter wrote:Can't you bypass compression in the imaging program by using a pdf tool that does the compression? (in windows) I always let acrobat do the CCITT.
Well, yes, but I also want to save space on my storage device(s), so I'd need to compress the TIFs after editing at some point if I want to preserve them.

(I use a scanner/photocopier at the library which apparently compresses each TIF. After I edit and re-save in Arcsoft PhotoStudio, the file-size balloons out of control.)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Some programs have horrible ways of compressing. For example, some will compress monochrome to grayscale JPEG, which might account for the ballooning of size when uncompressed.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Since there was a mention of Mac's here, I though it might be worth mentioning the inexpensive program Graphic Converter, which can be very useful for batch processing TIFFs into CCIT level 4 bitmaps, for converting color and grayscale scans to bitmap (and vice versa), plus some fairly decent editing features.

Not as good as Photoshop to be sure, but also about 1/10th the price.
Vivaldi
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Vivaldi »

To Daphnis,
I'm not actually using a flat-bed scanner, I'm using a Canon ImageClass multi-function printer that has a scanner. I suspect that age might be a factor as well, since I bought this 3-4 years ago. I think I'll have to invest in a high quality flat-bed scanner, which can scan 600dpi in a few seconds rather than half a minute (which is the time my scanner needs).
carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

Does someone know the comand line to convert ccitt group 4 using imagemagick?
The default convesion ("convert input.pdf output.tiff") is very bad,useless for loss of quality.
Conversions made by Gimp are bad too (pdf to tiff).Is there a way to set gimp/imagemagick to convert at level ccitt group 4 ?
Thank'you
Carmar
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

For compressing a monochrome tiff this works fine for me:
convert $1 -compress Group4 $1

The problem is extracting the images from the pdf. There is pdfimages which creates a bunch of pbm's. Unfortunately you lose the original image dpi. If you know that you can do something like this (thrown together quickly):

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#Usage $0 [pdf file]-
PREFIX=prefix
pdfimages $1 $PREFIX
for i in $PREFIX*.pbm
do
    convert -density 600x600 $i -negate -compress Group4 `echo $i | sed -e 's_pbm$_tiff_'`
done
tiffcp $PREFIX*.tiff out$PREFIX.tiff
tiff2pdf out$PREFIX.tiff -z -o Compressed_$1
rm $PREFIX*
rm out$PREFIX.tiff
I believe feldmahler used to have a similar script.
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

Here's the script I was thinking of: http://imslp.org/wiki/Optimizing_PDF_Compression
carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

Thank you.It will be hard to understand all now and atonce. (I have just switch to linux).
Thank you again

Ciao

Carmar