Antonin Kraft - Cello Concerto PD ?

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Generoso
active poster

Antonin Kraft - Cello Concerto PD ?

Post by Generoso »

I have here the Antonin Kraft (1750-1820) Cello Concerto in C major printed in Praha, Czechoslovakia in 1961 (The number is "H 3296").

I read on this page http://imslp.org/wiki/Public_domain#Czech_Republic that in the Czech Republic, all Czech government publications are in the public domain. This notably affects Artia/Orbis/SNKLHU/Supraphon, which was a government organization from 1948 to 1989.

So would this be public domain and is it ok to upload it?? Thanks.

p.s. I also noticed that all the Supraphon editions are blocked. Does that mean that they are not PD?
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

Not all of the Supraphon editions are blocked. Apparently the ones you ran into were (as yet) not reviewed - or they were post-1963 publications. The Kraft is probably an urtext-type edition which would be entitled to no more than 30 years maximum of protection in the EU. Supraphon did not renew very many items in the US - but that applies only for works published before 1964, after which renewal became automatic.

Even though the IMSLP server is in Canada - not the US - and abides by Canada's copyright statutes, the majority of our traffic is from the US, so items not PD in the US are temporarily blocked.
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

Ok I have put the Kraft concerto on. Please check to see if it is ok!

Thanks
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

The problem with the score you posted is that the piano reduction was by M. Solc. It is not clear whether M. Solc was a contemporary of Kraft or a co-editor with the other one named on the score. It's not just an edition, but an arrangement - so a whole different set of rules comes into play.
Deinonychus
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Deinonychus »

From OCLC, the editor in question is most likely to be Milan Solc (1925-1977) so unfortunately still copyright
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

Yes you must be right :(
iiiiiiiiiijjjjjjjjjjj
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by iiiiiiiiiijjjjjjjjjjj »

Is it still possible to post just the cello part?
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

Yes, it is a good question...Is it possible to post only the Cello part. there is no editor for it (only the piano part)?

:?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I suppose so, unless the cello part is very heavily edited. If the solo part was done along the lines of an urtext edition, I think we could OK it.
Celloyo
regular poster

Re: Antonin Kraft - Cello Concerto PD ?

Post by Celloyo »

Greetings,

May I inquire if there has been any development upon this topic? I currently don't see any other way of finding hard-copies in any library in the Southern Hemisphere...

Thank you :)

K.K.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

We basically answered your question. You can most likely post the cello part, but not the piano reduction made by Milan Solc (who died only in 1977). The Solc reduction might be free in the USA but that means it would have to be posted to the USA server, which can be done only by admins.
Celloyo
regular poster

Post by Celloyo »

Please do post the cello part if it is possible!
Thank you very much :)
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

Celloyo
regular poster

Post by Celloyo »

Thank you! I am very excited :)
Celloyo
regular poster

Post by Celloyo »

... And be sure to find the recording of Anner Bylsma with Tafelmusik, it is thoroughly enjoyable!
Cheers :)