Respighi - Pini di Roma

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

poncho
regular poster

Respighi - Pini di Roma

Post by poncho »

Hi,

The score for this has been uploaded at http://imslp.org/wiki/Pines_of_Rome_(Re ... _Ottorino) but is currently blocked awaiting copyright review.

Could I ask someone on the copyright review team to have a look at this file and unblock it if possible?

Many thanks in advance, and thanks for all the efforts the team have put into working through the enormous list of copyright reviews.

Ian
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Due to circumstances those files cannot be unblocked at this time. There will be a statement regarding a small portion of blocked files (which includes this work) very soon.
Xotan
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Xotan »

Hello

It is good to see IMSLP is back in business as it is a wonderful resource for musicians.

I too have an interest in the Respighi 'Pines of Rome' score, in particular the two Piano x Four Hands arrangements that are listed. However, since the welcome return of IMSLP, they have not yet become available. The stated reason being that they are blocked pending copyright review.

Without wishing to appear pushy, would it be possible at least to give some indication as to when there might be some definitive clarification of the position, please, or even when I might hope that the scores might be unblocked?

As a previous correspondent said, thanks in advance to the team that is working on the copyright reviewing. I appreciate that it cannot be an easy task. So please put this enquiry down to eagerness on my part.

Xotan.
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by pml »

Dear Xotan,

I am afraid you are incorrect. The various versions of the Pini di Roma are not blocked because of a pending copyright review, they are blocked because the work is not in the public domain in the US, and therefore we would require permission to be granted by the rights holder for us to make it publicly available.

As the earliest publication of the Pini di Roma was 1925, the US 95-year rule most definitely applies. I would love the Feste Romane to be available also, but again the composer wrote the work in 1928, and anything from 1923 or later is eligible for those ridiculous copyright terms.

You can blame this on Mickey Mouse, Sonny Bono, and the litigious nature of the world; we are powerless to do much to resolve the underlying issues here. At the other extreme, everything Stravinsky wrote and published prior to 1923 is readily available from a server in the US (the link is in another thread), and I would suggest that thread really ought to be moderated (hint to Yagan...)

At least one of the wonderful Trittico Romane is available however: Fontane di Roma. (Are you glad you don’t live in the Côte d’Ivoire, or Mexico? In copyright there until 2037.)

By the way the correct link is:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Pini_di_Roma_%28R ... ttorino%29

At these forums, brackets in URLs always have to be typed in as %28 for ( and %29 for ) or else the link breaks. :(

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
John Porter

Re: Respighi - Pini di Roma

Post by John Porter »

Hello, is the work now considered to be in the public domain since it has been >95 years? Thanks!

Best regards,
John
geniusboy98

Post by geniusboy98 »

Yes, Pines is public domain in the US as of this year. In fact, Luck's Music is apparently already selling a reprint set of parts:
https://www.lucksmusic.com/CatalogSymph ... Code=13929
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

Also one should note that the recording that goes along with it, may be public domain. Depending on what Deutsche Grammophon decides to do with it.