Copyright status of works in "Complete Works of Chopin.

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

Copyright status of works in "Complete Works of Chopin.

Post by kcleung »

I would like to scan the full score of piano concerti by Chopin from the album:

Complete works, according to the autographs and original editions with critical commentary [music] / editor, Ignacy J. Paderewski, collaboration, Ludwik Bronarski [and] Jozef Turozynski

the uni library catalogue says that the contributor Paderewski, Ignace Jan died in 1941.

This album was published by

Warsaw : Fryderyk Chopin institute, 1949-1961.

So how legal it is just to scan and upload the full-score of the piano concerti?
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

Urtext editions of this nature are only protected to up to 30 years from publication in the EU. Italy, Germany and the UK all have lesser terms for them. While such editions are not protected at all under Canadian copyright (because of failure to meet the threshold of originality), IMSLP voluntarily observes a 25-year rule on such editions published in the EU. Therefore, the PWM complete works are OK to post at IMSLP, though posters must take care to post only the music, because the prefaces, critical notes, etc. are all subject to the standard life-plus-50 rule. (Unless the author of the preface has died before 1958, of course)
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

That's good news!

Looking forward to seeing the Polish Lieder.
(I was going to do them myself, but unfortunately more work has expanded to fill the time available and I will have to concentrate on other things.)

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis