Scores from the Neue Mozart Ausgabe online collection

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

aewanko
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Scores from the Neue Mozart Ausgabe online collection

Post by aewanko »

Just wondering if I could upload the sheet music from there. I'm pretty sure this site complies with the Fair Use policy, as said in the reminder.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

No it doesn't come under Fair Use. However, some files in that service are PD, that is why certain people within IMSLP are searching and uploading only those few files that are PD.
aewanko

Post by aewanko »

Yagan Kiely wrote:No it doesn't come under Fair Use. However, some files in that service are PD, that is why certain people within IMSLP are searching and uploading only those few files that are PD.
I think that meant a No. Hmm, I do not know.

---------------------
I've not realized the NMA project. Sorry for not using my common-sense.
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by pml »

Hi aewanko,

that's ok: I've replied to you in the other thread as to what you can do for now. I'll explain here what the status of the NMA project is:

It's a bit of a slow project for the simple reason that as it stands, you can get any of the works in the New Mozart Edition for free personal use. The mozarteum web site in Austria where it is hosted is a little bit quirky, but is usually reliable for downloading any of the hundred odd volumes of music. As such, that has sort of reduced the need for us to rush to put it up here. Also, some of the music in the NMA is under copyright, and ALL of the editorial prefaces and critical reports are, so open-slather reposting under the guise of "fair use" is actually inappropriate.

Some of the music is already in the public domain, owing to the urtext provisions of German law, and on the NMA project page you will find a breakdown of which volumes would be suitable for upload here at IMSLP.

However, I am more interested in approaching Bärenreiter and the Internationale Stiftung Mozarteum with a proposal to mirror their PDFs of the music volumes, for the reasons that have been stated in my draft letter: I think you'll find that if you go looking in the other thread.

In the mean time, I need to write a style guide for how the works are eventually to be uploaded to IMSLP: the PDFs from the mozarteum web site are often broken up very arbitrarily and piecemeal, which can be a nuisance. I'm willing to consider options for divvying out the rather large amount of uploading work that will be involved if we get a go-ahead. At present, the approx. 50 to 60 volumes I've downloaded represent about 7 GB of data (admittedly including the prefaces and critical reports also).

Therefore, this project will continue following the well-worn maxim of the ancient Roman Emperor Augustus Caesar: festina lente (hasten, slowly) :)

Regards, PML
--
PML (talk)