Piatti cello's capricci

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Seb

Piatti cello's capricci

Post by Seb »

Hi every one,

I've nearly finished the re-writting of the twelves capricci for violoncello solo (Twelve capricci for violoncello solo Op. 25) originally published in 1874. I would like to know if i could upload it in IMSLP. I've spent so (too) many time retyping with lilypond... :lol:
Piatti is born in 1822 and died in 1901. So it's over the 70 years' limit, it's OK.
My problem is for the editor and the publisher I've a problem with... Since I have completely re-engraved the score, should I take into account the copyright of the editor ? The preface is dated 2003. Is that mean that I should wait until 2073 ?
I would have scaned the score it would be normal to wait until 2073. But in my case, what's the rule ?

Thank you for your explanations. :)

Sorry for the mistakes... French here... :wink:
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

As long as you don't reproduce the preface, you should be free to upload here. I assume you're using the score published in 1874 as your source. If you are using a recent edition as the source, you must not include any material added by the editor that is an original contribution.

For example, if the editor of a recent edition added new fingerings, articulations, dynamics, slurs and the like, you cannot duplicate those. If the editor merely corrected a few mistakes, or added dynamics, slurs, etc. from another public domain source, there is no problem as such additions are not original contributions by the editor.
Seb

Post by Seb »

I see where's the limit know.
Thanks a lot Carolus. :)
The problem is now to find the original version or the most recent public domain source and see where are the differences.
Generoso
active poster

Re: Piatti cello's capricci

Post by Generoso »

The complete library (sheet music) of all the works of Alfredo Piatti are in Italy. Here is the address.
Biblioteca Gaetano Donizetti
via Arena 9, 24129 I-24100 BERGAMO
tel 39 035 233781 - donizetti@bibliotecamai.org

In case of difficulty in finding sheet music, you can request information from Annalisa Barzanò, counselor musicological of Alfredo Piatti and author of the Catalog of Compositions by Alfredo Piatti (info@alfredopiatti.it).

Here is the site with the information on it.
http://www.alfredopiatti.it/it/apfs/apf ... re_00.html

Here is pdf of the entire works of Piatti (It also tells which Library the various pieces are in).
http://www.alfredopiatti.it/it/docu/stu ... oopere.pdf

The one you are looking for is at the top of the list 12 Caprices, Op.25 dedicated to Bernard Cossman. The autograph was written 26.6.1865.