Two unrelated questions

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

jsnfmn
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Two unrelated questions

Post by jsnfmn »

#1:

In my search for scores by Joseph Holbrooke, I can across a List of Complete works by Joseph Holbrooke put out by Goodwin & Tabb. I'm not sure when this put out but the last work listed was published in 1921 and there is a library stamp inside the cover dated 1925. The library's titleing on the binding lists [1923?]. Besides using this to update the work list on the composer's page, would this be appropriate to put up on Holbrooke's page somewhere, and what would be the format for doing so?

While doing some research on the Swedish composer Hilding Rosenberg (1892-1985), I discovered that he had written a Trumpet Concerto, being a trumpet player this interested me greatly. I was not able to find much more information on this piece besides its listing on a website with the composer's worklist. After a little digging, I found out that The Music Library of Sweden had the manuscript and after contacting them they agreed to make a copy of it and send it to me. This piece is listed on the website mentioned above as being composed in 1928. Now, what I am looking to find out is once I get the copies and I decide I like the piece, what kind of obstacles am I looking at to perform it? I have no problems typesetting a new score and parts for the performance, I am more interested in what legal problems may pop up in this.

Any help on the above two unrelated questions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by daphnis »

1.) It would be very appropriate to put up. List the genre as a Book and create the necessary standard work page. At least this is what I have done for previous books.

2.) That's odd they would offer to photocopy and mail you the manuscript since he/she is clearly protected in Sweden. As for performance obstacles, you might apply or try to contact the Rosenberg estate for performance permission although you may not even need that, but I'm sure they would be at least grateful to hear someone expressed interest. As far as legal performing rights, if the piece was and is currently not published, you *may* be in the clear. I'd be curious to hear someone else's take on this.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Daphnis is correct. The Rosenberg Trumpet Concerto would be protected worldwide wince he died only in 1985. His legal hiers (which could even be the library) would have complete control over the copyright, which will remain in force until 2036 in Canada and the 50pma countries and 2056 in most other countries. You probably wouldn't need performance permission as the work was most likely composed for a player who gave the premiere back in 1928. It might actually languish in the rental catalog of Nordiska or another publisher he was associated with also.

You can post copyrighted works here as long as it done with the written permission of the copyright owner. Perhaps the Rosenberg hiers would like to see his work given greater exposure, and IMSLP is a wonderful place to do it since we have quite a bit of traffic. Also, if you're willing to do free typesetting, I think Severo Ornstein (Leo Ornstein's son) would very much like to see his father's Piano Concerto made available in a legible form. Contact me via private message if you're interested.
jsnfmn
forum adept

Post by jsnfmn »

Thanks for the info, I contacted the library again to see if they had any information on who or what controlled the Rosenberg Estate now. It would certainly be nice if they would grant permission to post either the manuscript or my re-typesetting of it, Rosenberg is certainly an underplayed composer outside of Sweden and trumpet players have a dearth of decent concertos to play.

Regarding the Holbrooke work list, I guess my confusion is more that Holbrooke wasn't really the author of it, unless he did it himself for Goodwin & Tabb, so it seemed a little strange to put it on the composers page, does that make sense?
Grandenorm

Re: Two unrelated questions

Post by Grandenorm »

Your list of works by Joseph Holbrooke is an incomplete typescript. George Lowe in his essential book "Joseph Holbrooke and his Work", published in 1920, has a more detailed (and accurate) list going up to Op. 79. Lowe died shortly after the book was published or he would certainly have written more about Holbrooke. His list was enlarged later by another hand, shortly after the composer's death. I have a copy of this list which I will scan and upload as soon as I get a new scanner - and find the time!!!
Re. your upload of "The Raven", p. 11 does not appear to have scanned properly. It is blank in my download and Adobe threw up the message "Not enough information to show scan" (or something like that). All the other pages have scanned properly and are present.
I have some Holbrooke scores which you might be interested in and I will happily provide you with photocopies if you wish, but they are still in copyright. The copyright holder is Mrs Jean Holbrooke, the composer's daughter-in-law (the nominal publishing company is Blenheim Press, though it doesn't do any actual publishing - for Joseph, and later his son Gwydion, systematically bought back the copyright on virtually all his published works. I am in touch with the Holbrooke family who have scores and parts for most of his published and unpublished compositions (with one or two notable, and regrettable, exceptions - the "Dance Symphony" for example, with its concertante piano part).
Incidentally, the Geman record company CPO will release at the end of April a CD of "The Viking", "Ulalume", the Concert Overture "Amontillado" Op. 123, and the Variations on "Three Blind Mice". The orchestra is the Brandenburgisches Staatsorchester under Howard Griffiths. I was instrumental in persuading CPO to record these works and, if this disk sells well, they have indicated they might record some more works - Howard Griffiths is certainly keen to do so. The performances are excellent.
My private email is gareth41@talktalk.net. Please get in touch.
jsnfmn
forum adept

Post by jsnfmn »

Most of this is very good news, it is good to hear that some of Holbrooke's pieces are being given proper performances, I will certainly be first in line to purchase this CD when it is released. Now if they would put out Apollo and the Seaman, that would be something. It would also be great to have a more accurate and complete list of works, I knew that it was quite inaccurate when I uploaded it, but thought it might be interesting to some people out there.

Unfortunately, re: the Raven, I no longer have access to this score. I was however able to salvage most of the image from that page and have uploaded what I was able to recover, from the violas to the bottom of the score has been cropped off and I'm not sure if it is possible to save that from the original file.
didi1

Post by didi1 »

I was loolomg for the song from Liza Lehmann : Endymion
The original song (soprano) serms to be in C Minor7major, hold at British library (1899)
A reprint (1983)exists from Recital Publications, Texas, Hundsville, but in different key.

My humble quesion concerning copyright:

a) If I make a reprint of a copyright score via own computer setting. is this score still copyright protected?
b) If I would transpose my computer setting, is this score still copyright protected?

I would suppose for both questions that the score is still in copyright,
but need a confirmation from the experts

Thanks for any help // Didi
Piano playiny - what a question!!
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

If the song in question was reprinted by Recital Publications, it is almost certainly PD in the USA. The mere transposition of something is not considered sufficient to meet the minimum threshold of originality for copyright in most countries.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Carolus wrote:If the song in question was reprinted by Recital Publications, it is almost certainly PD in the USA. The mere transposition of something is not considered sufficient to meet the minimum threshold of originality for copyright in most countries.
But -- for completeness -- to make a transposition or arrangement of a work that is still under copyright would be a violation, right?
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Yes, making a transposition or an arrangement of a work still protected requires permission.