copyright-related question about honegger's Sonatine No.6

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

ashaam

copyright-related question about honegger's Sonatine No.6

Post by ashaam »

I've entitely rewritten on FINALE Honegger's Sonatine No.6 pour Violon e Violoncelle.
May I upload the pdf file of my re-writing, even if Honegger's works are still under copyright?
thanks
Jacopo, Italy

Edit: mmmmmh....maybe I should have posted this in the "Copyright Status Request" section....sorry....
Last edited by ashaam on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: question about copyright

Post by daphnis »

First, please change your thread title to something more specific about the piece in question.

Second, when you say "rewritten", do you simply mean you've produced a new typeset from the printed 1932 Salabert score? Or do you mean you've somehow re-composed or otherwise deviated from the original printing? If the former, your typeset would still retain the same copyright term as the 1932 original, ie. currently public domain in Canada, under copyright until 2028 in the U.S. and under copyright in the E.U. until 2026. If the former, then without written permission from the copyright holder you would then be violating their copyright.
ashaam

Re: copyright-related question about honegger's Sonatine No.6

Post by ashaam »

uhm....can't find the word "typeset" on my English dictionary...sorry.
Well, I bought the Sonatine score from Salabert, then, as it was impossible to use it in concert (12 turns for 15 minutes of music....and not even a pause to turn those pages :D) I had to entirely rewrite it on Finale, note after note, legatura after legatura, etc.
So, does my .mus file still bear the copyright? It would be unbelievable....I mean, that's what Honegger wrote on his desk! And Salbert just published it (with a good deal of legatura-mistakes :D). Should I change some notes or take away some legaturas or dynamics to be able to post it on IMSLP?
Thanks for your answer
Jacopo, Italy

(sorry for the bad english)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

ashaam wrote:So, does my .mus file still bear the copyright? It would be unbelievable....
What is so unbelievable about it? You copying it manually doesn't change the fact that it's still Honegger's music, which is copyrighted in the European Union until 2026, as already stated by Daphnis. Since you are based in Italy, you are not legally entitled to distribute his music without authorization before 2026. Whether anybody is actually going to sue you for uploading his music to a Canadian website (where his works actually are PD because of shorter copyright terms), I cannot tell you.
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

Given that you have done this work of typesetting already, what you might wish to do is to contact the publisher and ask them whether they would be interested in publishing a new edition of the piece with realistic page-turns, offer to do it; and, if and when they say "yes" and will allow you to typeset it anew, wait a few days and then send your new typeset to the publisher for their consideration.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)