Haydn's ''Orfeo ed Euridice'' -- Universal-Ed.?

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Haydn's ''Orfeo ed Euridice'' -- Universal-Ed.?

Post by Lyle Neff »

While looking for something completely different to scan for ISMLP, I just now came across a hard-bound item that I had forgotten about -- so much so that I don't remember how I acquired it.

The front cover has a type-written plate on it that reads:
  • Joseph Haydn
    Orfeo ed Euridice
    Klavierauszug
    Leihmaterial unverkäufliches Eigentum der
    UNIVERSAL-EDITION A.E., WIEN
The next piece of publishing information is on the first page of score, with just a purple stamp at the bottom: "Universal-Edition Wien."

At the bottom of the last page there is this: "Autographische Vervieltältigung Josef Dörr, Wien V."

So, this is copy of a hand-written score, with no year of publication and no one credited for making the piano reduction; it's also a rental score, not for sale. It seems that Universal-Ed. is the distributor rather than the publisher, since their imprint is not integral to the published score, but rather is stamped or glued onto it.

What's your advice about scanning and uploading?

Thanks in advance for any information.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Haydn's ''Orfeo ed Euridice'' -- Universal-Ed.?

Post by Carolus »

Sort of a complicated issue. Much depends upon who actually made that piano reduction. Also, if the vocal score in question has never been made available for sale - only for rental - the doctrine of "limited publication" potentially comes into play with regards to USA status. If it was an actual "limited publication", the vocal score you describe may not have been actually published (in the legal sense) until Jan. 1, 1978 when the revised copyright law (which broadened the definition of publication so that rental material could no longer be considered "limited") came into force.

If it's a case of placing an item on rental which was previously on sale (a common practice), then there would be a high likelihood of the score being PD in the USA. Canada and EU terms are dependent upon the death date of the creator of the vocal score.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Re: Haydn's ''Orfeo ed Euridice'' -- Universal-Ed.?

Post by Lyle Neff »

Thanks for the information, Carolus.

I guess I'll put it away for now. The rental status, the lack of dates on the print, and the fact that U.-E. is involved leave this too much in the air.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)