Dates for Plate Numbers of form ‘Edition Schott No.XXXXX’

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

stephez12

Dates for Plate Numbers of form ‘Edition Schott No.XXXXX’

Post by stephez12 »

I have a transcription for cello and piano of a piece by Liszt - Angelus, Priere aux Anges Gardiens. The transcriber is Lothar Windsberger (1885 – 1935). So if published before 1923 (PD in US) it is public domain everywhere and worth uploading.

The plate number is ‘Edition Schott No.06989’. This form of plate number is not included in the Publisher Information on IMSLP. I have been unable to find a date of publication anywhere. The look of the piece suggests it may have been published before 1923.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Steve
Generoso
active poster

Re: Dates for Plate Numbers of form ‘Edition Schott No.XXXXX’

Post by Generoso »

If you look at this page near the bottom
http://imslp.org/wiki/Schott

It would have been published somewhere between Plate No.05196 and Plate No.09729. The later was published in 1907 so most likely your piece would have been published before that. Here is the 2nd of those two pieces. The plate number is in the lower right corner of last page.
http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/f ... Menuet.pdf
stephez12

Post by stephez12 »

Thanks for the input, Generoso.

I had looked at these numbers but discounted them – perhaps too readily.

The dates don’t seem right. The transcriber was born in 1885. The sequence you suggest has number 09729 in 1907 when he was only 22. In the 23 years between 1907 and 1930 they used about 23000 further numbers. Using this rate suggests 06987 would be in about 1904 when he would only have been 19. Not impossible but worrying.

Steve
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

It's probably before 1923, and they neglected to include a notice besides. It's most likely free in the USA. Plate numbers, while very helpful, are not necessarily a reliable indication of date, though it is more so with some publishers than others.
stephez12

Post by stephez12 »

I was reminded of this post (which I started) when I uploaded a copy of Chants Russes (Lento) from Concerto Russe, Op.29 by Edouard Lalo. Already uploaded was a copy with plate number 'Edition Schott No.07171' My copy was from the same plates and had the Schott plate number 24247. So in making the later edition Schott used the original plates (24247) and changed the plate numbers to 07171.

Steve